(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({ google_ad_client: "ca-pub-1163816206856645", enable_page_level_ads: true }); Northview Diary: Reminiscing and Rustlers

Saturday, August 05, 2006

Reminiscing and Rustlers

You never know what will make a difference, what will stick, what will stay with your kids forever (which is scary as heck!). This morning I was at the sink talking to Becky while trying to get the smell of filamentatious algae off my hands, after cleaning some out of the garden pond. (I originally went outdoors to chase Comedy away. She was trying to scoop out some lovely guppies and goldfish for a mid-morning snack. The empty OFF! can I tossed her way served its purpose, but I somehow got pulled into the great time-sucking black hole known as puttering-in-the-yard. I wound up dragging a half a mile or so of stinky green gunk out of the pond and mulching under the hostas with it. You could tell what I had been up to from six feet back.)

Colin Raye’s song, I Think About You came on the country radio station. Beck, who is now 18, said that she had always liked it and would always remember it in a special way. She reminded me, “You sang it to me once. We were outside Grandma’s house and it came on the car radio. I was sitting in the front and you leaned over and sang it to me. I remember because I was eight years old.”
(You have probably heard the line, “I think about you, eight years old, big blue eyes and a heart of gold. When I look at this world, I think about you.....”)

I think I like the song because it has always reminded me of Beck, who does have that sort of generous, giving and caring heart (which she hides under the exterior of a teenaged curmudgeon.)
Imagine remembering something like that for ten years and liking it because I sang it to her (if you have heard me sing, you will know how unlikely THAT is.)


I walked away from the sink, still stinking of rank green pond weed, but with a nice, warm feeling to carry around for a while…at least until the next time we go to war over prepping cows or feeding the pony or something.


*On another topic entirely, check out this story on modern day rustlers. These cows didn’t need a national animal identification system to be traced. All that was required here was a vigilant owner and some eager policemen.



2 comments:

Deanna said...

What a nice moment for both of you. Thank you for sharing.

threecollie said...

Hello Cubby, times like that make it fun to be a parent