(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({ google_ad_client: "ca-pub-1163816206856645", enable_page_level_ads: true }); Northview Diary: Horse auction

Saturday, September 16, 2006

Horse auction

The boss dragged me across the river to a horse auction yesterday. I won't lie and say it wasn't fun, although I really didn't want to go. (Just lazy I guess). We came within about 25 bucks of bringing home a horse. (Whew, close one there.)

Anyhow, what an assortment of horses we saw. The migration of the Amish to the area brought a huge offering of draft horses of all ages and descriptions and there were a few local light horses and ponies too.

It was exciting. While we were standing behind the auctioneers' stand watching a pair of Halflingers being paraded at a high trot, I looked over at a commotion a few feet away and found myself staring right at a horse's belly button. Argghhh!!! A tall, flaxy chestnut mare was sunfishing right there among all the auction goers and horses waiting to be sold. Only the fact that a couple of big Amish boys were on her halter kept her from throwing herself right over backwards. We decided to go over by the grandstand until they got her through the ring. She was a hot one and I don't envy whoever has her in their stable today.

Just after she sold an Amish fellow brought in a little yellow colt. I was pretty sure it was a Halflinger, but it didn't have the refinement about the head you see in the hotblooded ones around here. It looked more like a miniature Belgian with a puffy little curly tail and thick, furry blonde ears. I liked it. It was very correct and seemed very quiet (could have been drugged of course.)

We watched a few more sell hoping to see what that one brought and then left. We were over in Fonda getting laundry detergent when the boss said, "I want to buy that colt."

O....ka-a-a-y.....we are about as broke as we could possibly be, milk prices are what they were in 1970, fuel prices aren't, and we already have two horses nobody does anything with. Still, the man works like a dog...two dogs maybe, and today is his 58th brithday. (Happy birthday, Ralph,we love you). So, I said, go get him, no more than four hundred bucks.

We rushed back to the sale where I sat in the car with a good Andrew Greeley book while he went in to see what he could do. He bid up to $250 on the little guy, then decided that was enough. A dealer took him home for $275.

Can't say I was really sorry. We knew nothing about the colt except that he was cute and had no real use for him. Still he was cute...... really, really cute. He had excellent feet and legs and was put together just right.


Horse prices ranged from ten dollars for a skeletal old thing that someone is hoping to rehabilitate, to near four thousand each for a pair of locally grown Paint showhorses. They must have sold a hundred head, and were still selling long after we left. You could hear the aucioneer's chant from here when the wind was right.

9 comments:

Rebecca Mecomber said...

Fascinating story. I know nothing about horses (except what I have read from Black Beauty-- that horse wrote a book! hahaha... anyway...)

There has been a migration of Amish to Upstate?? This is surprising to me. Do you have any idea why? And do they vote?

Anonymous said...

Yes, great story. And Happy Birthday to the boss.

DO the Amish vote?? I never thought of that!

threecollie said...

Hi mrs. mecomber,
Hundreds of Amish families have moved to our county alone. I think this is because land is cheaper here than in Ohio and PA, from whence they came. They are being forced out in those states by rampant development I guess. To answer both you and my dear friend, numberwise, we looked up the Amish vote question, as we didn't really know either. Although they are not forbidden to vote by their religion, they do not generally become involved in politics.

NW, I will tell Ralph you wished him a good one. He is sick as a dog and working anyhow...poor guy.
Liz baked him and apple pie though, and I am making beef pot pie for supper, so at least he will be well fed.

Anonymous said...

Rats! Today would've been a good day to do bookwork...

Anonymous said...

Happy birthday to Ralph!

...and boy, do understand... sometimes, you gotta spoil yourself and cave into desire. Life's more happy and interesting that way.

Anonymous said...

Lots of horses around here but very few Amish. My Mothers ancestory is Amish Menoninte. I'm very glad ny Grandfather had an independent bent and left the group.

Anonymous said...

Above is from MacBean. It seems the "other" doesn't do the link thing.

threecollie said...

NW, it is so funny that you should say that. We got out of the barn real late last night, but I was thinking, while I was milking sweet little Mento, that I should call you and just have you come down for dinner....seemed like such food should be shared...but it was almost nine before we were done and I figured you would have eaten already.

Matthew, Ralph says thanks. As far as buying the colt, you said it exactly right. None of us get out of this alive, so we might as well grab what fun we can.

Dave/MacBean, sorry the comments are so messed up. It bothers me so to not be able to leave comments on some very nice blogs.
I just discovered the other day that I have a Mennonite ancestor too. I was amazed. Thanks for visiting!

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday. boss!