(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({ google_ad_client: "ca-pub-1163816206856645", enable_page_level_ads: true }); Northview Diary: Wanna feel a little insulted?

Wednesday, May 02, 2007

Wanna feel a little insulted?

If you are a farmer that is, and not too fond of NAIS (National Animal Identification System)? Just read this story on Cattle Network.com. and you will get the idea.

Especially the part about reading to farmers at the sixth grade level.

"....As described by the USDA, these “key messages” “are organized into topic categories and supported with concise sentences. They are designed for an audience reading at the sixth grade level.” (Handbook, p. 41.)"

Dang. Sixth grade. It has been a while.

"Staff are advised not to “invest[ ] time” in “Anti-NAIS producers” and instead “locate and motivate more favorable individuals” (p. 9). While staff are to tell farmers that participation in premises ID will not compel them to participate in either individual animal ID or animal tracking (Handbook, p. 42), at the same time, staff are to pursue the second and third components of NAIS, “adoption of animal ID and tracing,” during 2007. (NAIS Outreach bulletin, Feb. 2007, p. 1)."

I can't help it. My feelings are hurt.


*
**Update....Here is a story on the human form of NAIS

7 comments:

MinorcanMeteorolgist said...

Wow, how insulting. I would like to see those city boys try to do the work you and your family do every day.

Anonymous said...

I don't know, it never hurts to have the opposition under estimate you. If you read the handbook they are talking about you will find my noanimalid.com site is listed by name as one of the nameless people they were fighting. Having all those college educated people scared of little old me with no formal secondary education makes me laugh.

Paintsmh said...

Wow. That gives me this warm fuzzy feeling that I went to college, got a degree, and suffered through endless hours of bull puckies just to be insulted by the government. NOT!

Rebecca Mecomber said...

Hurt feelings?! I am bombastic. The government is using farmers as pawns in their scheme to control the food supply.

Every action they take from this point forward-- see if it doesn't line up with that agenda. See if this allegation is true.

threecollie said...

Hi HT, I am thinking of getting out my thesaurus and writing them a letter with lots of big words. Their efforts are almost laughable except for the huge amount of power they have.

Sarpy sam, I haven't read it, except for excerpts, but I know you and Walt Jeffries have gotten a lot of notice for your excellent websites on NAIS. good work!

Paints, I didn't make it through college, but even in 6th grade I was reading way above that level. Oh, well

Mrs. M, I wouldn't doubt for one second that you are right. Most government decisions on food issues favor large, easily controlled entities...down with the little guy,

Anonymous said...

Jeez! That's ever so nice! In honesty, had that happened up here, the guy would be in front of the commons apologising and probably being shown the door! Really nice!

Oh, and YOU BEEN TAGGED!

http://tinyurl.com/3b5zym - (Check at 6am EST... I had to time-stamp it...)

Apologies in advance!

Wil said...

Well, perhaps you can take solace in the fact that Americans, on average, have only reached a fifth grade reading level.

So, if nothing else, those stuck-up prigs pushing NAIS estimate you are smarter than the average bear...