(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({ google_ad_client: "ca-pub-1163816206856645", enable_page_level_ads: true }); Northview Diary: Annual meeting

Friday, October 12, 2007

Annual meeting

Montgomery County Farm Bureau held its annual meeting last night. It was a fine and stimulating meeting...spirited debate on farm policy issues, dinner with good friends and colleagues, and some excellent speeches by several FB luminaries. (Notice I didn't comment on the food...far better that I don't.) Liz brought a friend of hers, who turned out to be a mannerly, pleasant, and entertaining young man, whose presence bumped the fun factor of the evening up several notches. (I do like farm boys, hands down.)

And then there was the election of board of directors members. Liz, running for the second time, finally made it on. She was delighted. We are an awful political bunch and she wants to get her feet wet. Much to my amazement I was elected too. The amazement part came in because I was already on the board, and had no clue that my term was up. I was pure-D astonished to see my name on the ballot, which is what I get for running off to Pennsylvania to see Emerson Drive rather than attending to my duties as a board member. (I missed last month's meeting.)

Anyhow, I looked down the list of other folks vying for the open seats and figured that pretty much all of them are seasoned FB veterans who would do a great job of steering the county. Those that didn't fit that category are the young and the eager. They have a lot to offer too. I found that I didn't care at all whether I was reelected. I like the board largely because it helps me keep up on important issues (and see my friends), but any member can attend board meetings so it wasn't like I had to be out of the loop if I lost.

However, it turns out there were exactly as many open seats as there were candidates.....which worked out well for all concerned.
Welcome aboard Liz. This is going to be fun!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good for you both! I know that the board is lucky to have you, and I agree that it's a great way for Liz to get started.

threecollie said...

Hi NW, it drives her nuts over at school when they berate her for not wanting to go to evening mock business meetings to learn how to act. lol All of them have been going to meetings and behaving since they were babies