(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({ google_ad_client: "ca-pub-1163816206856645", enable_page_level_ads: true }); Northview Diary: Taking mandatory NAIS to a whole new level.

Friday, November 23, 2007

Taking mandatory NAIS to a whole new level.

Here is the story of a farmer who defied NAIS, so the state came in and RFID tagged his cows under a court order. (What part of voluntary did they miss?State troopers enforcing ear tagging rules? Good grief!) Although I do think we need TB testing, I have to say that I admire Greg Niewendorp for standing up to the government on mandatory RFID tags.

Here is a group that wants to make it easier for farmers to direct market to the public without jumping through all the hoops that government has put in front of small operators. I have mixed emotions about some of this, as we do pasteurize milk for a reason, but still it is interesting. We know of several small turkey farms around here that were utterly defeated in their efforts to supply folks with tasty, home-grown turkeys, because state regulations mandated separate stainless steel pans for every turkey and dozens of other rules intended more to stifle small players than to make meat safer.

3 comments:

Windyridge said...

Nice! My husband shot a 6 point with his bow a few weeks ago. He was very pleased. It was his first buck with a bow and his biggest buck overall so far.

I didn't hear about the loaded gun accident only the uncle shooting his nephew. What happened?

Did you read my post in Musings about my husband falling from his stand? Yikes....

threecollie said...

WR, thanks, yes I did see your post on him falling. Really scary! I hate it when the kid uses a stand because so many accidents happen in them.

I almost included a link to the story where the poor man shot himself either getting into or out of his stand, but I decided I shouldn't. He was an experienced woodsman, but died tragically earlier this month. Now I can't find the link to the story. Sorry

threecollie said...

http://www.examiner.com/a-1031615~Hunter_dies_when_he_shoots_himself_climbing_into_tree_stand.html
Found it