(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({ google_ad_client: "ca-pub-1163816206856645", enable_page_level_ads: true }); Northview Diary: Links

Wednesday, January 02, 2008

Links

Here are a couple of links for your head scratching puzzlement. One is about offering a day off for cows. Believe it or not, a pasta company has put calcium in their macaroni so cows can have a day off. What a thought...time off for cattle. They even have a bovine sellout...er, ....spokes "person" thanking them for their "generosity".

The knotheads!

If you give cows a day off from milking their udders rapidly fill with excess milk, to the point of extreme pain. They bellow and scream to be milked and thrash and bang their stanchions. If left more than a few extra hours without milking, they can develop painful udder infections, from which some could die. We dairy farmers don't milk every twelve hours because we are super Vikings or like being perpetually tired or anything masochistic like that. We do it because it is necessary for the cows' comfort and health.

Milking machine equipment repair companies are available on a 24-hour emergency basis (they don't come cheap, but they do come when called) and most farmers own generators so if the power goes out the work goes on. As far as the Northview cows are concerned, thanks but no thanks Ronzoni, we will get our calcium from milk and continue to work every day as always.
Mooove along with your silly, selfish, city-centric ad campaign.

And this is a bit sad, but had me scratching my head; Elderly man hurt riding pet buffalo. That simply doesn't need any explanation...the headline says it all.

I am working on a post on some incredibly cool Christmas presents we received from someone who seems to know us better than we know ourselves. However back-to-back, big, bad snowstorms have put everybody into overdrive just getting chores done and when we come in we all seem to fall asleep in our chairs....but soon...


12 comments:

Stacy said...

Companies will try anything to get us to buy their product, won't they? I can just hear all the PETA people gushing over what a wonderful thing it is for the cows.

Rebecca Mecomber said...

Even I knew that you have to milk cows every day.... lol! knotheads is right!

Now there's a word I've not heard for a long time... knotheads... wait til my kids hear that.

Happy New Year! ;)

Caroline said...

Ha, ha, ha!! A day off, shuuuuure. Someone should educate them. Amazing what some people believe.

It's the same with goats (twice a day milking) but I'm only milking two, and I hand milk, so power outages make no difference (except that the animals need water, regardless, and we need electricity to run the pump that gets water from the well).

Jan said...

I saw that ad and even as a city person I couldn't believe how dumb people can be. I guess they see the cows sitting around the spa on their day off...

Donna. W said...

Hey there! Thanks for your comment on my blog. I'll subscribe to you VIA bloglines, since I've always been interested in dairies. Never had a real one of my own, but I milked a few Jerseys for years and years. Have one Jersey heifer right now.

Jinglebob said...

Just found a link to your blog from prairerunners blog.

As a rancher in the west who deals with real live animals all the time, I applaud you for this posting.

I am enjoying reading your blog and looking forward to more.

R.Powers said...

Anyone who reads Northview knows your cow's well being is a family priority at your place.

Cowseeum right through this noodleheaded thinking.

threecollie said...

Stacy..I imagine you are right about that

Mrs. M, we watched the new Pirates of the Caribbean for New Year's Eve and the vocabulary surprised and delighted me. It is kind of a weird movie, but the verbiage is just wonderful

caroline, being without water is bad for sure...we are lucky enough to have village water and although it is expensive I am grateful for it.

MML, just came in from doing so. lol

Jan, haven't seen it myself except online...I imagine they aren't running it here where the main industry is dairy

Donna, thanks so much and thanks for visiting!

Jinglebob, glad you stopped by and thank you. I do believe that I am going to enjoy your site as well.

FC, we try, we really do and I sure get all cranked up about ads like that. You might say that they get my goat!

Anonymous said...

"Knothead" is the word. The whole thing is so stupid that I can't even find words to comment...

threecollie said...

NW, it really fired me up and is the subject of part of this week's Farm side as well. I sent the company a note and got an insipid answer...no real attention to my complaint.

Anonymous said...

Sounds to me like they are stealing Idea's from the " California happy cows campaign". The right and left side of this country along with the majority of city folk will never understand the people in the country.

threecollie said...

Tim, yeah, the coasts seem to be just a tad different than the heartland