(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({ google_ad_client: "ca-pub-1163816206856645", enable_page_level_ads: true }); Northview Diary: PBR in Albany

Sunday, January 27, 2008

PBR in Albany

(Or, watching your kid on TV is really cool.)

Photo stolen from Liz, taken at Vernon Downs last summer


The Professional Bull Riders Association came to Albany last night and brought along some great bulls and even greater cowboys. Such famous names as Travis Briscoe, Guillerme Marchi, Paulo Crimber (who danced and Liz has video) and Adriano Moraes were right here in upstate New York and riding their best.
Liz had a ticket for a seat not far from the chutes. At nine-thirty it was televised on Versus and of course we watched.

She really got lucky too. It was one of the best rodeos I have ever seen. Lots of good rides, (although nobody hit ninety), no really awful wrecks. My heart jumped right up in my throat though when Reese Cates' bull nearly flipped over forward (his face was digging into the ground) and Reese had to put his hand right down in the dirt to save himself from falling under him. Close one!

Cord McCoy, who is Liz's favorite, (and a really nice boy-we met him at Turning Stone) had a great ride for fourth place. She got to talk to him for a minute at the end which was nice too. (He encouraged her to buy a baby bucking bull though, which plumb makes me ner-r-r-r-v-ous....she is just the kid to actually do it.) I love to see Cord do well, partly because he came out of a terrible injury to do what he loves with a zest that is contagious. You never see him without an ear to ear grin.

Anyhow, all through the show we scanned the stands for her. We knew she was right down front and right near the chutes. Sure enough Alan soon spotted her..... taking pictures for BuckinJunction. I kept trying to watch for her too, but the action in front of the chutes kept distracting me.

Tonight the second go round and short go will take place (well, really this afternoon). Liz has tickets for today too.

And....(dum dad dum dum)..........One of them is mine...(we earned this trip by milking cows for five weeks without so much as a milking off when the boss was hurt....there will be no whining from the cheap seats). So if you watch Versus at nine tonight you can look about five rows back right by the chutes for the excited cow girl with the camera and the old lady with her hands over her eyes. See you there.

9 comments:

Cathy said...

I'll BET that keeps your heart racing! When you say 'hit 90' I'm assuming that's not MPH, but a high rating from the judges ;0)

Sounds as though you're surviving winter just dandy. That calf is so cute (can I say that about a calf?)

I love nostalgic photo montages and what can I say about Tucker . . . . but . . . awwwwwww. We've had a couple dogs like that too. Seems they pop up at memory's door once in a while.

Stacy said...

Sounds like a good time to me. Where do I look to find it on TV? Meg likes bull riding, too, and would love to watch.

threecollie said...

Cathy....it is really exciting. 90 is indeed a score in points given by judges. Half the score measure how well the cow boy rides and half how good the bull bucks
Thanks for all your kind words. We call them cute too.

Stacy, the rodeo will be on the Versus network at 9 tonight. I don't know where it would show up on your channels. Here it is 75

Anonymous said...

I hope the two of you have a GREAT time. I tried to stay up and watch it last night , but fell asleep around 10pm!!!! I'll try and watch again tonight, maybe I'll get to see the entire show.

Linda said...

We're pretty lucky here. We have a couple of local bull riders that compete in the P.B.R.'s and a local roughstock night in town every Thursday in the winter where they ride broncs and bulls.

Rebecca Mecomber said...

What fun! We'd love to attend a real rodeo! Have a grand time and tell us all about it!

threecollie said...

NYV, thanks, we had a wonderful time, except for one bad wreck

Linda, which guys are from your area? Maybe we met them last night???

Mrs. M on one hand I love it..on the other it just kills me to see those boys get hurt..

Anonymous said...

Dang! I wish we could get some good rodeo action here. I gotta look into the schedule for some of it that may come our way.

threecollie said...

Tim, this is the first time for the PBR itself up here. I hope they do come back