(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({ google_ad_client: "ca-pub-1163816206856645", enable_page_level_ads: true }); Northview Diary: Having someone flip your senator for you

Thursday, February 28, 2008

Having someone flip your senator for you

Amounts to nothing more than flipping off the voters who elected that senator. It infuriates me to hear about our governor cheerfully going around the state looking for someone willing to betray the folks who elected them by changing parties in return for whatever payback he has to offer.


Sorry if this is confusing to readers outside New York State, but it REALLY gets to me. There is much cheering going on over the upset election of Darrel Aubertine to the state senate, making the Republican majority there easily destroyed by the flipping of just one person. However, I believe that Aubertine was elected because he was the better candidate, pure and simple. I don't think toppling senate leadership had anywhere near as much to do with it as is being claimed (although word is that Spitzer's 2010 election campaign headquarters in NYC ran a phone bank in his behalf).


I heard Aubertine speak at a dairy meeting when he was an assemblyman and I was pretty impressed. He had a decent grasp of rural issues and the realities of farming and seemed sincere about wanting to fix problems. If he ran around here I probably would have voted for him.

However, I have not and certainly never would vote for someone who flipped...even if they flipped to a party I preferred. Let them do it when they are out of office rather than offering voters one position, then choosing another.

And how people can continue to hold our trusty governor, Elliot Spitzer, up as a shining beacon of change when he has spent most of his short tenure in office pulling such tricks, is beyond me. It certainly doesn't say much for the moral climate in state government today.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

How did I miss all this going on! Guess our presidential race has been been the big spotlight! Thanks for keeping us updated!

threecollie said...

Mon@rch, it sure has been anything but dull the past few weeks. I hate to think what it will be like later in the year.