(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({ google_ad_client: "ca-pub-1163816206856645", enable_page_level_ads: true }); Northview Diary: Be careful what you wish for

Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Be careful what you wish for

Driving down to Cobleskill, nearly nine last night. Had to pick Becky up after a late class (when will that girl learn to drive?) Alan was riding along to keep me company and we were enjoying each other thoroughly. He is a nice boy and very aware that his eighteenth birthday is Friday...and that the world will change for him and us real soon. As we passed the spot where Beck and I saw the screech owl the other day, I calmly mentioned, "Gee, we haven't seen any owls tonight. Usually we see a couple."

Not three hundred yards down the road we saw one alright. boy did we see it! It swooped right across the grill of the car, almost over the hood. It was close enough that we instinctively cringed backward and stomped on the floor...me on the brake, him on empty floor mat and an imaginary clutch (he is used to his five speed truck). Despite the fraction of a second that we saw it and the gasp factor, I did get to see what it was. A barred owl, all fluff and stripes. It looked big as a turkey from where I was sitting. If it had extended one feather even an inch it would have touched the car. I like owls, but I will not ask so carelessly again.

3 comments:

Deb said...

I remember when my oldest son turned 18, a life altering event for all of us for sure. He's now 27 and home again....just like old times :)
Glad you weren't hurt when the owl decided to make his appearance! Would love to have seen him - we haven't seen or heard an owl around here for quite some time.

Deb
Tylerfarm
Maine

Linda said...

I think owls are one of my favorites except for the fact that they hang out on roads for an easy lunch.

threecollie said...

Deb, it is such a big thing for him. The girls were no where near as intense about it for some reason

linda, I like to see them too, although that was just a shade close for comfort.