(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({ google_ad_client: "ca-pub-1163816206856645", enable_page_level_ads: true }); Northview Diary: The Time Change

Sunday, March 09, 2008

The Time Change

(I could have added an adjective or two in there, but this is a family friendly place.)
We time changed this morning...got up an hour early to milk and the cows looked at us as if we were nuts. They were still lying down in their comfy beds and didn't even want to stand up. They love routine and hate anything that changes it. Last week I was asked in a newsletter how farmers feel about changing time. Anything that disrupts routines disrupts cows and makes things harder....so I don't like changing in either direction. As to why we at Northview don't just ignore the change and stay on the same schedule year round...in a word (or maybe two) the milk truck. He comes at 8 AM. We have to be done by then. If we just stayed on Daylight Savings we would always be done before 8, but meetings and such would just kill us. I do not understand the rationale behind changing and would like to stay on Daylight Savings year around. Sarpy Sam has some good points on the issue today too....oh, I was reading blogs and see that Linda does too.

Yesterday one of Liz's heifers had a little bull calf (which was a disappointment...she really wanted a heifer). Interestingly though, he was red, which proves that his mother is a red carrier, even though she herself is plain black and white. She was sired by the RC bull at Select Sires, Kenyon, but her dam has never had a red calf. When I looked at him trotting around the barn in his little calf coat this morning I wondered aloud, "How many of these do you think are alive in the world today?"

Not because he was red or a bull, but because he is a son of Citation-R Maple, a bull that has been dead for a very long time. It would be interesting to know just how many of them there are today. Not many I'll bet.

9 comments:

R.Powers said...

DST seems to be on many blogger's minds this morn.

Down here, I give it a big thumbs down.

Anonymous said...

Changing time has been fun and I changed my time on my blog around midnight last night! Congrats on the baby bull! Would love to see a picture of it!

Linda said...

&^%$%^&#$%&(family friendly cussing)!
I'm getting in the mood for new calves soon. We look forward to bulls as opposed to heifers most of the time but on our best cows a heifer is always welcome. The Bossman says "As long as it's healthy"!

Paintsmh said...

This time change was so nasty!! I hate it!

Jan said...

I hate the time change too. It's like a mini jet lag twice a year.

Anonymous said...

They keep adjusting the time on each end, If they keep up, at this rate DST will begin and end on the same day. Heifers are coveted things aren't they?

Anonymous said...

R Maple?? Wow! What will you do with the calf? -NW

Anonymous said...

I'm a newcomer to your blog and love it. Thanks for sharing your farm. My dairy cow, I have just one :) looked at me funny this morning as well, but she will do absolutely anything for food so stood up promptly. She had a heifer calf 12/31 who also was eager to eat, regardless of the time change. I would prefer to stay on DST but the critters didn't seem to mind.

Cheers ~
Deb
Tylerfarm
Maine

threecollie said...

FC, I hate the change...I prefer daylight savings though once we are on it

Mon@rch, I'll try to get one for you. No time today

Linda, thanks, that is exactly how I feel....the polite cussing I mean. Right now dairy bulls are bringing so little it is hard to know what to do with them...

paints, poor baby, you have a rough schedule

Jan, jet lag describes it very well!

nita, that would work very well for me indeed...just leave it one way or the other.

NW, guess we will just sell him...his mom is just a two year old by an unproven sire. He is a real nice calf though

Deb, thanks so much for visiting and for leaving a comment...our cows seemed pretty comfortable by tonight, although they were down some on milk. Guess they will catch up in a few days...