(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({ google_ad_client: "ca-pub-1163816206856645", enable_page_level_ads: true }); Northview Diary: Hockey vs modern medicine

Friday, April 04, 2008

Hockey vs modern medicine

A certain young man who teaches me how to use my electronic gadgetry took a hockey ball in the mouth yesterday. (Of course he plays goalie) Although the kids he plays a pick-up game with every day after school wear protective gear, at the before school, under the eye of the coach game not much gear is available. When one of his good friends took a shot from about six feet out of the goal he stopped it, much in the manner that Mike might stop a Frizbee. I believe that it was unintentional on both their parts but....

He split both lips good.(or bad if you prefer) and by last night he still looked as if he had picked a fight with Joe Louis. It was a meaningful experience. He ordered himself some protective gear online after work, so he can be safer in the "supervised" games. (His buddies keep him outfitted during the pick up games, but someone he knows quite well had been suggesting to him that he get his own ever since he began playing hockey. However, since he can work her camera better then she can he figured he could wait on getting the hockey stuff. The hockey advice took on more authority after yesterday though.)

He was totally cool with being a wounded warrior and wouldn't even let the nurse call home when he went to her office to get the bleeding stemmed. And he is 18 now, so she wasn't required to do so either, so we knew nothing about his injury until after the afternoon game. There was no complaining, no whining or griping about how much it hurt either. He just trotted around all day with an ice pack and fat lips. Hockey injuries are honorable injuries it seems and worth putting up with.

However, he is no where near as sanguine about the three (count 'em three) shots he got for college today.

Funny how a tetanus shot is worse than a hockey ball shot every time. And those TB tests, Dang!



Whatsis ducks?
They were so far away that even with binoculars we couldn't be sure. Anybody?



13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! And I thought I kept busy....
My daughter is the same way; skating injury gets a shrug. A little cut on her finger and it's the end of the world.
Don't know my ducks, sorry!
Teri in Altamont

Anonymous said...

Thatta Boy!?!?!

Linda said...

Ah, but to be a MAN!

threecollie said...

Teri, Funny isn't it how they are? Guess I was the same way. I could get so saddle sore I could barely hobble riding a horse all weekend and grin whenever it reminded me of how I got that way. Get the same level of pain from work and moan and groan all day.

NYV, lol

Linda, yeah, it does go with the territory doesn't it?

Jan said...

The difference between heroism and unnecessary medical procedures.

Cathy said...

Owie! Owie! Owie!

Dang. Did I say Owie?!

My kid was never so athletic - so lucky for wussy me - I didn't have to man the ice bags:0)

I agree with him about Tetanus shots. Those danged things hurt the next day.

And . . . since no one has attempted a positive ID - let me hazard a guess that the ducks MAY be bufflehead.

Anonymous said...

A Mallard Drake and a hen, Looks like the Drake is asleep with his bill under his wing and the hen is preening.

Anonymous said...

No, I'm wrong, they are wood ducks. hence the green and red head of the drake.

Anonymous said...

HEY, this reminded me of when my brother and I would play "rocket ball" as a kid. Of course we had no common sense but that was half the fun back then. Rocket ball was simply a pitching/batting game where the rules were pretty simple.

1.. The pitcher would try to hit the batter with the ball, intentionally

2.. The batter would try not to get hit or..
2A.. Try to hit the ball as far as freaking possible making the pitcher run to exhaustion to get the ball.

Well, bro smacked a nice one in that lovely slow motion moment where you think an afternoon has passes. End result? Pretty much the same.

Good times.

Parents however were more concerned.

MojoMan said...

Lips heal, teeth are gone forever. He got lucky and it shows wisdom that he wanted to get the protective gear on his own.

I agree with Tim and am guessing wood ducks. Very cool, I haven't seen one in quite some time. They nest in cavities and some people put up boxes for them.

threecollie said...

Jan, exactly! lol

cathy, ours never played sports because of time constraints, but he is having a lot of fun now...if he can just keep the ball from beating him up.

Tim, I know they look like mallards, but it looks to me as if the drake may have a light or white eye. Wish we could have gotten a closer shot.

Steve, lucky kids that get to play outside organized leagues and invent games (even such as these) and have real fun.

mojoman, there are wood duck boxes all over that part of the swamp so you and Tim may have it right.

Rurality said...

Ouch!

Where is Tom with duck IDs?! They are too far away for me too. :)

threecollie said...

Rurality, the darned things were right down by the road later that day, but I had no time to stop for a better look as I was on a tight schedule.