(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({ google_ad_client: "ca-pub-1163816206856645", enable_page_level_ads: true }); Northview Diary: Mike

Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Mike

I think my Mike, my best dog, my main man, is having small strokes. Last night he got up from where he was sleeping beside my chair and couldn't walk straight. He had a hard time getting to the kitchen...and a hard time getting back in from the yard. He listed to one side and just had problems. Now Liz tells me he did the same thing yesterday. I petted him for a while and put him in his crate, where he sleeps....and waited for morning.

Now he is back to what passes for fine in his life. He can walk and eat and sleep.

He is, or was, the most brilliant dog I have ever had. I ended up with him through a bit of serendipity for which I will be thankful all my life. Knowing next to nothing about border collies I bought a pup from a breeder who trialed dogs at the national level. I picked out a little half black and white pup and waited for him to be ready to bring home. When I went to pick him up I was informed that he had already been chosen by a trainer...mistakes made etc...and I had to take a different pup. Later, more indoctrinated into the BC world, I learned that our Mikie had a gay tail, which is considered to signify the wrong attitude, and was probably rejected and my pup suibstituted. Thus I ended up with him rather than the pup I picked, as I was an amateur and probably not going to do much with him anyhow.

Lucky me. Lucky, lucky me. I accidentally got the best pup of the litter. Probably the best pup his father ever sired. Because I knew nothing about training I took him to a professional. I wanted to train him myself, but I wanted her to teach me how. I will tell you teaching a border collie to work with me is the hardest thing I have ever done. They come out of the box crammed with instinct and brains, but they don't necessarily want to do it your way. You have to learn to read stock, read the dog, figure out where you have to place one to move the other. They know more than you do. It is just hard.

Mike lived up to his gay tail too and had an attitude. He also was what is called a "line dog" with more instinct than you can imagine for stock. He wanted to work when he was just a tiny puppy. He worked anything and everything we pointed him at until he went blind about three years ago.

I could go on and on about what a dog he has been and not be bragging. ,he was simply great. The bad things he did, and there were certainly those, were my screw ups. Not that I didn't try, but it was like giving a kindergartener a Maserati and expecting them to drive it. The professional trainer who gave me and him lessons liked him so much she bought his father in hopes of getting another pup like him. No such luck. Because of a prostate infection as a young dog I had to neuter him. So no pups from him. Gael is his half sister by a different dog. Nick is her son, by Mike's father. Both fine dogs. Neither of them with that extra whatever it is that made Mike such a stock dog. Before we knew he was going blind he was so darned smart that he would work cows in the barnyard for me without ever coming out from under the tractors and wagons....he knew in his compromised state they could get him, so he kept himself safe from them. Once we figured out what was going on we let him gracefully retire.

Now he is almost entirely blind and profoundly deaf. He loves me dearly as I do him...follows me as best he can whenever I am in reach. He has to be in his crate when I am outside as he isn't safe in the barns and he frets and paces and drools if he can't find me. It is absolutely heartbreaking to watch such a brilliant dog try to function with hardly any of his senses. For a few years after he retired I used to let him stare and snap at the heifers through the fence...a no no for a stock dog, but it gave him pleasure and didn't hurt them any...just to keep his hand in so to speak. Now he can't even do that any more. He can't see them, and is afraid when he senses them.

I know the end is near. (My family kindly keeps pointing it out to me, as if I couldn't see.) Maybe it will be better for him. Maybe he will get to be somewhere where there are hundreds of compliant sheep with sweeping outruns and pearly fetch gates. Maybe there will be snorty heifers just begging for him to hang off their noses and shake a little sense into them. Maybe he can bust bulls and chew on steak bones every night. I hope so.

It won't be better for me though and I am just selfish enough to want him to stay.

13 comments:

Jeffro said...

Oh, threecollie, I feel for you. It's heartbreaking.

I've always wanted a border collie. The ones I've been around always seemed to be brilliant and fun to be around. I've always had someone else's dog I took in for them, or a stray. Now, I wouldn't have the time to keep an active dog like that busy.

I know you'll be strong for Mike. He deserves it.

Jinglebob said...

Yup, I had one like him also. The trainer was so frustrated with me as he would have been a champion trial dog, but I didn't want a trail dog I wanted a ranch cowdog. When he went down at too young of an age it was hard. But yes, there is surely a better place where it's always a wonderful day and plenty of stock to work and no one to stop from what he loves. Sometimes it shouldn't be about us and what we want but about them.

It is my opinion that we humans are the only ones who fear death before it comes. Animals accept it as just another door to walk thru and there is still existence and a continuation of what we have here.

Paintsmh said...

I want him to stay too. Too many memories to bury. And no matter what comes along there can never be another!

Breezey375 said...

Hey. It's not nice to make the bee cry in class. bad 4 me image.
on a happy note a certain book shipped and should be in the library with in a day or so!!!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful post and tribute to Mike - you are so lucky to have had such a smart guy.
This part is the downside to having animals - we feel and fear too much, as JB said.
Good Luck with this difficult time ahead.

Jan said...

So very well written. It's hard, so hard to let go.

Anonymous said...

fred I feel your pain .If there is any thing i can do. let me know!!
Love Ya
Mappy

R.Powers said...

Oh, you're killin' me.
What a fine tribute. Too bad dogs can't read.
Although on second thought, I'm sure Mike knows how you feel about him.

Teri Conroy said...

I'm with you - as far as that 'once in a lifetime dog'. I lost my aussie, Seamus, suddenly last August; he was only 7. He was the first dog I ever learned how to train. He was smarter than smart with amazing instinct. He was a momma's boy all the way. He was a registered Therapy Dog and could work the children at the hospital as beautifully as herding my goats if they got loose (and I never trained him to herd!). I am forever grateful for all that he taught me...and I imagine you feel the same about Mike. You have been blessed with him in your life, and he with you.
Best, Teri Conroy

Anonymous said...

Obviously you and Mike have found that magical thing when you don't know who means more to whom. You know that when he or you feel that the other needs more comfort than the other can provide then it's time to think strongly.

Your tribute to Mike sounds like a beautiful lifetime together and it seems like he's still reasonably healthy and strong. You will always be together and smile and laugh whether or not you can see him and feel him and hear him. He knows this about you, too. You and Mike are better beings because you care so much for each other. And miss each other. And you both know that.

Much strength.

threecollie said...

Jeffro, it is hard to watch him, but he seems fairly happy. thanks for your kind words.

Jinglebob, thanks, that is a sweet story. How sad that you lost your wonderful dog so young.

Paints, maybe he will for a while, but you know he is failing

Breezey, sorry kiddo, you probably shouldn't be reading your mother's blog in cita class should you?

Nita, thanks, I know you lost a great dog not so long ago...not an easy thing and JB said it well

Jan, thank you

Matt, thanks, you are the kind of brother everyone should have...love you

FC, he knows, he knows...and I know you understand as well. You have some pretty special doggie buddies as well.

Teri, seven, oh dear, you must have been simply heartbroken. I am so sorry. Mike is 13 and had a hard work life.

STeve, thanks....I think we tracked down the problem, canine vestibular disease. It is kind of awful, but not particularly fatal. Dogs just learn to live with staggering around like a drunk. He is anxious, but the treatment is keeping them quiet and rested so we are pursuing that as best we can. He is worse today, but still eating, drinking and trying to follow me around. Poor old man.

Windyridge said...

had help trying to train our BC too but we gave up. She was more a header than a heeler, a cow dog more than sheep I'm told.
I feel for you threecollie. It will be hard to lose such a wonderful friend.

threecollie said...

WR, Mike is a header too, or was when he could work. He hated to heel and would run around in front of a cow to bite her nose, then get behind her to put her where he wanted her. Unconventional, but it worked and the front end doesn't kick. thanks for the kind words.