(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({ google_ad_client: "ca-pub-1163816206856645", enable_page_level_ads: true }); Northview Diary: Blog friends and poultry

Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Blog friends and poultry



I can't tell you how much I value the online community. Folks that I have met through blogging and other online activities have offered friendship, a sympathetic ear when things are hard, perspective when things seem hard but really aren't, and a never ending wealth of humor and great photography every day of the year. The whole family has had the opportunity to get to know what every day life is like all over the USA and Canada and to enjoy wildlife, ranch life and ordinary life of all kinds. Folks I have "met" here at my desk in the dining room have been kind enough to help me with every kind of thing from starting fires with wet wood to doing a better job of taking pictures myself (I found the button, Steve).

However, I have never, until Sunday, actually met a real live blogger. A while ago though I mentioned that I was having a hard time finding chickens. Since Empire Livestock closed the small livestock section of the Tuesday auction it is hard to just pick up a couple extra hens. When I said something about this phenomenon on a blog I regularly read the owner offered to give me some chicks.

I didn't have the slightest trepidation about saying yes. You can tell from her writing that this is a very special lady and I couldn't wait to meet her in person. Sunday I dressed in my best farmer chic (blue cotton work shirt and jeans worn so thin and soft they feel fuzzy) and Alan, Beck, the boss and I headed out. We met at the Tractor Supply near the kids college. There we found out that Teri is every bit as nice in person as she seems on her blog. And the chickens are the cutest things you can imagine. Becky has taken right a hold of caring for them and keeps them in this cage in the hen house days and in a box in the kitchen nights. They are probably fledged enough to be out all the time, but with chickens being such a scarce commodity we are taking no chances with them. It is interesting to sit in the kitchen at night and listen to them twitter to themselves as they fall asleep. With papa wren on the front porch singing his babies to sleep and them in the kitchen it is sort of like surround sound with birds.


So thanks, Teri, for the poultry, it was super to meet you. And double thanks for the introduction to the local farm version of Craig's List....(now there is an addictive pastime! The boss and I went through all the ads yesterday morning and just had a ball...) It was real neat to actually meet another blogger. Maybe someday I will get to see others in person....you never know.


12 comments:

Deb said...

Congratulations on on your new chickens. How great that another Blogger had some available to share :) It's fun to meet people in person after you've chatted on-line for awhile.

Enjoy!

Debi

Anonymous said...

Always interesting subject matter when I check in - you are so right. Blogging is a way for like-minded people to connect, in our busy world.
How nice to actually meet a fellow blogger and to get some chickens to boot!

Stacy said...

The chickens look great! Neat that you got to meet a blogging friend. Makes me think about how close we were last year when you drove down to see ED at the Cambria Co. Fair. Maybe they'll be back this year??? ;)

Anonymous said...

nice chickens . . . I have never met a blogger that I don't like!

threecollie said...

Deb, thanks, we are tickled with them

Nita, it is...the internet has made it possible for me to actually chat on a regular basis with a lot of my local family and friends too, when our schedules conflict, seemingly for years on end. lol

STacy, I have always regretted that we didn't manage to get together. We have been watching their schedule, but so far nothing within even insane driving distance. Hope they come up with something soon!

mon@rch, this is my first....but who knows?

R.Powers said...

Cool!
I do love that evening twitter.

Anonymous said...

fred , nice chickens.
Love ya
Mappy

Anonymous said...

It was wonderful to meet you and your family! I daydream about your world all the time from reading your blog, and it was so nice to meet in person. I was thrilled you took the chicks! They look comfy cozy, and tomorrow I swear (I've been saying this every day) I'm putting my two outside! I took photos of Jane the dog playing with them in the front parlor today, very silly. Blogs and chickens - life is good!
Enjoy! Teri

Anonymous said...

Love to read what is going on up there with Ya'll. I thought about a couple of hens but I live in town. Not sure if I can have them or not. I do however hear a rooster in my neighborhood now and again. hmmmm?

threecollie said...

FC, soon they will be out in the coop nights too, but we were supposed to get a frost last night!!

Matt, I missed talking to you this weekend. Talk about scheduling conflicts! I missed you little brother

Teri, it must have been cute...Jane and the chickies. They are growing so fast; they will be able to go in with the hens in no time. Thanks again

Tim, some towns are cool with chickens, some not so much. It sure is nice to have your own eggs. Nothing compares, no matter what you buy. And even a couple chickens lay quite a supply.

Linda said...

I'm jealous of both the chickens and meeting a fellow blogger. I've often thought it would be nice to name a place and time and see who all showed up. I'll bet there wouldn't be any i wouldn't like.

threecollie said...

Linda, same here, we talk about our online friends as if we already knew them. Geography is the biggest thing. lol