(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({ google_ad_client: "ca-pub-1163816206856645", enable_page_level_ads: true }); Northview Diary: A guest

Monday, May 19, 2008

A guest

We have been waiting...and waiting..it is so darned cold this spring. Oh, yeah, we had that one week of seventy degree temperatures that brought out the flower buds. Then the cold came back and froze them. Since then average temps are about twenty degrees below normal. Hard on the bees, rough on the woodpile and not so popular with the hummingbirds.


Which have been so very late in showing up this spring. I have had the feeder out and been changing the food in it for over a month to no avail. I notice that the neighbors have theirs out too. Then yesterday, as we all sat in our Sunday chairs, a little female came to the big window and hovered in front of it as if to announce, "We're here!!" (I honestly believe that the hummers know who fills the feeders.)



She was gone in a flash, buzzing off to the front porch feeder. Then when I looked out through the porch doors this little guy was sleeping there on a flowerpot handle on the porch about three feet from the living room door. I think the hummingbirds may have had a rough migration or the cold and rain is giving them a tough time. Anyhow my photographic efforts made him buzz off to the mountain ash tree where they usually hang out (sorry about that).


However, this morning at just before sun up I looked out and there he was again, same flower pot, same pose. Poor guy looked about half frozen.




What an honor to have a hummingbird share our shelter. If I thought he would come inside I would prop the doors open. However, this time I won't disturb him, but rather let him sit there until the sun warms him...if it warms up enough today to do so.

***Sorry about the blurry shots, taken through both storm and regular door.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Poor baby, he knows where to come for help! I always worry about the birds, and wonder how they survive when the weather is unusually cold.

Anonymous said...

It is funny how they remember where the feeders are each year. I always look and listen for them each spring.

Windyridge said...

Today it's 41 and blustery and I have a baseball game to go to! Farmers tell me the hay is going to be late too. Oh joy....

Linda said...

My mother-in-law used to feed them in the other yard and I'm so mad at myself for not keeping the feeders full. It amazes me how they can survive with such timey boddies when it's cold out.

threecollie said...

Nita, he is back this morning with his mate, she is having a drink; he is sitting on the basket hanger again. The porch catches every ray of the morning sun and probably every degree of warmth too.

Tipper, it is amazing when you think of it. I am sure these are our same ones as other years as they are incredibly tame.

WR,you are going to freeze you poor thing. I milked cows with a winter jacket on last night INSIDE the barn, which is usually warm

Linda, they are so much fun. You can always put the feeders back up and wait. I had to start all over again when we moved up here and it took a while, but now we have at least a few every summer.

Anonymous said...

This is my kind of guest and I know with our colder temperatures the local hummingbirds in my area have been so active at my feeders! Thanks for sharing!

threecollie said...

Mon@rch, as far as I can see we only have two visiting and I cannot believe how much they are drinking. Wow!