(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({ google_ad_client: "ca-pub-1163816206856645", enable_page_level_ads: true }); Northview Diary: Hal Ketchum

Friday, May 16, 2008

Hal Ketchum


Thanks to brother number one
Liz and I were able to get tickets to his concert at the Egg last night, sort of as an early birthday present for her from me. It was a great concert; we had a terrific time....but it was a little weird in a way. Most of the audience, there is no doubt in my mind, take the same multi-vitamin that I do...you know, the kind that are sort of grey only they call them silver. Add to that the fact that the Egg is a very genteel venue. There were ushers and rules and all that stuff. However, then you had to factor in that Hal and his band play very powerful rock and roll, blues-type country music. Everyone sat very quietly through each song as if at a performance of a nice Beethoven sonata.

Then as soon as each song ended the crowd erupted in whistles and screams and barrages of clapping. After the last song there was at least a five minute standing ovation (which achieved the desired result of us getting to hear Small Town Saturday Night, without which the evening would have been somehow lacking.) My favorite song was Past the Point of Rescue, which has always been one that I really liked even before I knew who Hal was. We also really like a new (to us) song, Yesterday's Gone.

It was a great night, worth the insanity of hitting exit 24 at rush hour (remind me to tell you about the loonies in 2 little cars that squirted through between us and four solid lines of flying traffic. . It was like a billion-dollar thrill ride in some macabre theme park.
(Thank God for Lizzie's youthful reaction times.) I felt exactly like those folks you see in advertisements for the world's biggest roller coaster, white-knuckled-clingingto-the-door and all. I had my eyes shut most of the way. Liz wanted to close hers too.....however it seemed as if one of us should keep them open...and she was the one driving.)

Even the time we spent waiting for the show to begin was entertaining, thanks to some folks sitting behind us...we now know more than we could ever ask about how comfortable men's undies can be for women and several other topics that extended my cultural outlook immeasurably..


Guitar player Kenny Grimes

Bassist Keith Carper

***Pictures were taken with the little camera. An email to the Egg said some folks allow cameras, some don't. I figured the little one was more discrete in case Hal was a don't kind of guy. Of course he wasn't. Wish I had taken the big one...as you can imagine from the quality of the photos.

Here is a review
The reviewer kind of whined about Hal's story telling, but Liz and I loved it. He was so very funny. Little things like the wonders of modern technology in the studio and liquid song enhancement, along with tales of his youth here in upstate NY

Video from some other year at the Egg


Another shot, also showing drummer Nico Leophonte

****My humble apologies to anyone who read this while I was milking this morning. I got up at four to check a cow that calved last night and I simply wasn't in any way capable of coherent editing...not that I am now really, but at least I can see.




7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I haven't thought about Hal Ketchum in years-thanks for reminding me how much I like him!

Stacy said...

Wonder if he's gearing up for a comeback? I saw his video for Smalltown Saturay Night on GAC not too long ago. Usually means something is up. It'd be nice to have some new music from him. He has such a nice voice.

Deb said...

A girls night out - good for you! Nice to see Hal Ketchum is still doing shows - we have always liked his music.

Anonymous said...

Hal Ketchum? Didn't he illustrate "Dennis the Menace"?
What an adventure!! In all, that kind of evening would be priceless. Well, except for the traffic part. Nice to be able to unclench everything, isn't it?
Oh yeah and Happy Birthday Liz.

threecollie said...

Tipper, he is an Upstate NY boy, grew up not far from here. We love his music, or at least Liz and I do. It was great to finally get to see him.

Stacy, he just cut a new album, songs from which he played at the concert. Great stuff. He has MS though....

Deb, us too! And it sure was fun, once we got past the driving.

STeve, that was Hank. lol
Liz says thanks, birthday falls on "Memorial Day" (don't you love the way they move the holidays around?) again this year as it did the year she was born.

R.Powers said...

Sounds like you had a great time.
Listening in on uninhibited conversations is half the fun of concert/ pub environments.
Great source of material ...

Got something new today, share it tomorrow.
:)

threecollie said...

FC, I took notes on what the very (VERY) uninhibited ladies had to say, but didn't have the heart to quote them too much....and I always look forward to what you have each day. I can't believe you managed to top the snake and egg thing with the owls!