(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({ google_ad_client: "ca-pub-1163816206856645", enable_page_level_ads: true }); Northview Diary: Morning hush

Monday, May 05, 2008

Morning hush




After the weekend we had it was kind of nice to step back into our normal routine. I guess Fonda is open for business again but Jing's family's building is mostly gone. When we were kids we used to walk past it and make faces, which were reflected back by the polished black marble store front (long gone). In those days it was Maze's Hotel, and housed a bar and restaurant. They made pretty good steak back then.


We will sure miss the Chinese restaurant. We only bought Chinese maybe once every other month, but still, four of us are downright fond of egg rolls and wantons and such (the boss has other tastes). I hope maybe the folks who ran the place can start up again. There are several decent vacant restaurant buildings in the two towns. (Lots of vacant buildings period...not exactly a boom town or towns.) Maybe one of them will suit.


I have been eagerly awaiting the return of the white-crowned sparrows. However, it seemed as if they were kind of late this year. Then this morning their calls were ringing all over the backyard and a couple were fighting under the bird feeder. They love to nest in the box elders and I love to hear and see them. The cat bird is back too. I think it is the same sorta tame one that lived in the yard last year. I was walking over to work yesterday and he came right out of the bushes to talk to me.

8 comments:

Deb said...

I'm sorry you lost your chinese restaurant and feel sad for Jing's family. Fire is so terribly destructive.......even with 4+ inches of rain here they are still not handing out burn permits. I'm so thankful our town is so diligent about that.

Many of our birds seemed late this year. You had killdeer much earlier than I did. They finally arrived and our old hound dog loves to chase them in the pasture.

Enjoy your day!

threecollie said...

Thanks Deb, fire is such a terrible thing. Must be fun to watch the dog and killdeer!

Stacy said...

I love the frosty, misty pictures. It looked like that around here yesterday morning. Makes it easy to see where they got their ghost stories in the old days, doesn't it?

Anonymous said...

I was waiting to tell you how excited I was to see two white-crowned sparrows here in the city yesterday, but you beat me to it (of course)! It seems that when they first appear, they are out in the open and blatantly obvious. Then they seem to disappear from the city area.

Jinglebob said...

Wonderful pictures. Sorry for the loss to you and your area.

Windyridge said...

Catbirds are such neat birds. We always have one or two around here every year. They have such a huge vocabulary of songs.

Anonymous said...

I always look forward to the return of the humming birds here. And they are back!

threecollie said...

Stacy, thanks, we seem to be having the most beautiful mornings this spring...I am really enjoying them.

NW, you are right about that...they do seem to be more prominent for a while...I haven't seen any today

Jinglebob, thanks!

WR I like them too. I am really enjoying our mockingbird too. He is an amazing singer

Tipper, that is wonderful! I haven't seen any yet, although I have a feeder out.