(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({ google_ad_client: "ca-pub-1163816206856645", enable_page_level_ads: true }); Northview Diary: Not a tall tale

Thursday, May 01, 2008

Not a tall tale




Brand new driver's license hot in his hand he betook himself shopping for shells and a new turkey call. (Lost the old one). This super-duper dandy new call is better than the old one anyhow and he was good enough with the old one to call in turkeys and occasional trespassers who mistook him for a strutting tom. (Do you have any idea just how crazy a kid practicing with a box call can make you?)

He left this morning at daybreak, chose his spot and sat down on his little turkey hunting seat to test the new call. Soon some hens responded, coming so close he could hear the frost crunching under their little turkey feet. No toms though and that is all that can be taken here in the spring season.

So he moved toward where he could hear some toms gobbling. As he was walking a deer bolted out of the woods not far away, and curved away when it saw him. Before he had time to really wonder why it was running, a coyote burst out of the woods behind it. It turned toward him and began to approach. His mind was full of the six shots his twelve gauge holds, when it stopped just out of range.

And looked at him funny.

Real funny. As he puzzled over why it was peering at him in such a strange manner he heard a faint crunch behind him.

And whirled to find the OTHER coyote twenty or so feet away, crouched down in the grass, stalking HIM. He couldn't get the gun around fast enough to disabuse it of that notion. It ran off over the hill where it would not have been safe to chance a shot.

I thought it was only where there are no hunters that coyotes are getting just a little too bold. Guess I was wrong.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Now if he had brought his porcupine vest, he would have been perfectly ready to go out there. That's gotta be a moment that lives with you for awhile. Evidently his spiffy new ACME Coyote Call works very well. Nicely done.

Jan said...

Quite an adventure. I really wish I could bring myself to like coyotes, but they remain off my chart. Now even more to think they might want to make a meal of humans.

Anonymous said...

We saw a monster sized coyote the other day just feet from our house ( and that was with the dog growling at him from inside the window). Not good, and it wasn't scared a bit, and it was after 8 am. Needless to say with all our little kids and small livestock, they are not welcome here.

Anonymous said...

At least he was on his toes, and they left.
Around here they are talking about spreading around breeding pairs of wolves in the National Forests. You know so there is a balance of predators...

threecollie said...

Steve, I'll bet he was wishing he had all that stuff! He was still shaking when he came in. We had a good laugh at his expense, but it does make you see the coyotes in a bit different light!

Jan, used to find them quite atmospheric, but now they are just problematic. they do keep the turkey population down, but they eat calves and cats too.

MML, Wow, that must have been really frightening. Our boy is a six-footer at ease in the outdoors and he was scared by the incident. A good sized pony was taken down by them a couple years ago near here.

Nita, dang, on top of the cougars! You have a lot to cope with!

Anonymous said...

I agree turkey calls can drive you crazy! I especially dislike the box call my husband uses-it makes my teeth itch!

We are covered up with coyotes here. They killed one of our dogs a few years ago. My husband has gotten lots of pictures of them on his trail cam-I'm always amazed at how big they are.

Linda said...

For some reason the coyotes around here are getting bolder. The Bossman is even thinking he might have to do something about that. It'll be something to remember at any rate.

Anonymous said...

Aaargh, those coyotes! They're the reason I bought a rifle and learned how to shoot a couple years ago. They are brazen....
Teri Conroy

Charley "Apple" Grabowski said...

They just had something on the local TV here that they are invading the suburbs. I haven't heard any reports of any near here but my son has seen them near his place.

Windyridge said...

Wow that's surprising about the coyote. I've had them walk by me at 20 yards and never see me or smell me on the ground leaning up against a tree. I was followed by one only once and I was on horseback. He was keeping pace with me. It was eerie but he left me alone.

threecollie said...

Tipper, it is the most grating, fingernails-on-a-chalkboard sound I have ever heard. I can't believe that turkeys actually like it. Goes to show what they know. lol

Linda, I have a theory about the ones the other day. OUrs are normally quite timid.

Teri, it just weirds me out, having them aggressively bothering folks. They come right down in our yard all the time.

Apple, I USED to think they were cool. Not so much any more.

WR, I was surprised too (as was Alan, believe me).

Deanna said...

Wow, scary!