(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({ google_ad_client: "ca-pub-1163816206856645", enable_page_level_ads: true }); Northview Diary: Senior moment

Friday, May 23, 2008

Senior moment


Who is that handsome boy playing tympani?




And singing in the chorus?

If you don't know, don't feel bad...evidently the band director doesn't either. There are three sections in our high school band, concert, wind ensemble and jazz band. It is a time honored tradition at our school for seniors to be acknowledged during their final concert. In fact Alan wanted to drop band this year and fill that slot in his schedule with something more useful for college. I encouraged him to stay in so he could enjoy his moment of glory as a senior with 8 years of percussion behind him. He did so.

Then last night, the director who shall remain nameless, gushed all over how wonderful the seniors in jazz band were. Raved long and loud about the seniors in wind ensembles. They took bows and got buckets of applause and I am sure were delighted with the attention they received.
And then, completely, totally (and unfixably-this is their LAST ever high school concert after all) forgot the three seniors in the concert band.

We waited and waited for their special moment but, oops, no such luck. They just filed offstage unnoticed. I won't get into the way this particular director has taken what used to be a fun music program and made it technically excellent, yet miserably boring, (instrument of torture comes to mind) for the audience. He likes that weird kinda music and he is the boss. We can suffer through a few hours of really painful music a couple times a year; we are after all adults and all....but to slight kids who have been in band for so many years, since before he was even hired. Well, to me that is inexcusable.

The highlight of the night was wonderful though. Alan's good friends' younger brother (you didn't hear about the helping with the sneaking of a piano into their house for him for Christmas this year because I had to keep Alan's part in that operation a secret for obvious reasons) COMPOSED one of the numbers last night! And it was awesome! One of the two best pieces all night. Lively, dramatic, exciting! (Everything the rest of the program wasn't...no slight to the kids, they play very well. It is just the directors taste in music that hurts.) The young composer got a standing ovation and he richly deserved it!
Then he went on to accompany the mixed chorus on piano completely from memory! Wow!

Anyhow, here is MY salute to 8 years in band. Hey, Alan, we won't forget and you or Anne or Rickie. As always you looked and sounded great last night. Good job!

12 comments:

Jinglebob said...

Too bad adults have to screw things up for young people when it is the young peoples special moments. Music is it's own satisfaction tho'. Tell him to keep playing.

And congrats from me! :)

Anonymous said...

So sorry-that is so frustrating as a parent when you see all the effort that your child has put in. 8 years is a long time. Congrats from me to him!

Anonymous said...

Congrats to your son! this year at the last concert of the year neither the band director nor the choir director acknowledged the Seniors. I wrote to them and called them on it. And Our oldest is only a Junior!

Sam's Darling Wife

Anonymous said...

ALAN
Congratulations bro! Yes it feels like a kick in the pants when certain adults forget to remember the very reason they are there in the first place. But the good part is that you stuck with it for 8 years through thick and thin. I did the same and even played in college despite most of the kids being substantially more skiled than me. I could have dropped in college too but the friends and experiences I tucked away would have been sorely missed. Keep it up if you can, it's not about directors or parents or neckties. It's about what you carry away from it many years after the concert is over. That's the only reason to play. Congrats again.

Linda said...

Congratulations Alan! The best acknowledgment comes from home anyway and you've got that at least!

R.Powers said...

Congrats to Alan!
Similar thing happened to us with the FFA banquet this year as Junior was left out of the All A's awards even though he earned it.
Same thing happened to my daughter with this advisor also.
The FFA advisor never forgets her nephew however...

Amazing haircut similarity on our two boys.

Anonymous said...

Congrats to you Alan - from us at Trapper Creek. Eight years is a huge accomplishment. Keep up the good work!

Jan said...

It amazes me how a few adults can take something as joyful as children making music and turn it into something less than joyful. But it is not uncommon unfortunately.

Anonymous said...

Congrats to Alan! His perseverance is a quality that will last him a lifetime, even though careless and clueless people come and go.

threecollie said...

Jinglebob, I gotta tell you I am glad that high school is about done...but I will miss the music despite all the issues

Tipper, it really is, you are so right. All three kids did music for the whole length of school and we enjoyed it.

Darling wife, I am so grateful for folks like you who will stand up in situations like that. There are even more things going on now, such as the director passed out band pins when Alan wasn't there, so that he didn't get one. We will have to go to school to remedy that as graduating with four years in band earns him one...and he has double that many. thanks so much for taking time to comment...it means a lot to me.

Steve, you and Jinglebob are right about the music being its own reward and the friends too. Thanks

Linda, he says thanks...all the kind words here meant a lot to him.

FC, I can't believe how many parents that I have talked to today had similar experiences, whether it be with kids in plays, bands or class groups. I guess we all overcome it.

Nita, thanks so much!

Jan, thanks it really does seem to be everywhere.

NW, thanks, it means a lot to have you say that

Islagringo said...

Off topic, but I love this blog! I live on an island in the Caribbean so our lives could not be more different! I wanted to suggest that you start another blog. I know how busy you are but I love the articles you post from the Farm Side. I would love to see every week's edition. Think about it. "Me on the Farm Side" or something.

threecollie said...

Hi Wayne, thanks for visiting and for taking time to comment! I visited both your blogs and I love them. Beautiful photography and, for some one who has led a sheltered life like I have, really fascinating material. I will certainly be back.
I can't really publish the current ones without competing with the paper's pay website, but I will try to find some more old ones. Liz is after me for one that her late show cow, Dixie, "wrote". I will see if I can find it. I have ten years worth on various key drives around the place, but it is there somewhere...lol, Thanks for a great idea!