(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({ google_ad_client: "ca-pub-1163816206856645", enable_page_level_ads: true }); Northview Diary: Meeting

Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Meeting

NYS Commissioner of Agriculture, Patrick Hooker, who made the meeting possible.
He is truly one of the good guys.



Through the kindness of a friend I was able to attend a listening session on dairy issues in Syracuse yesterday. Though the matters discussed, such as who pays for the hauling of milk, volatile milk prices, de-pooling of organic milk leading to unfair price advantages for those outside the pool, raw milk sales and the rampage of some entities which are called farmer cooperatives, but which are really just more of the octopus arms of gigantic businesses engaged in making money off farmers were important, attendance was dismal. If there were half a dozen farmers there other than the presenters I would be surprised. However, there were plenty of activist groups, including the Consumer's Union there and lots of lawyers in suits eager to tell our state offcials that farmers should pay for hauling or else.

The low attendance was pretty disappointing, If we don't speak up for ourselves, who will? (Of course, chicken heart that I am, I didn't present, just took lots of notes and a few photos, with plans to say my piece in the Farm Side Friday.


John Bunting

I was delighted to hear John Bunting of the Milkweed speak. The five minutes allotted was way too short in his case, as he spoke of price manipulation on the Chicago Mercantile Exchange, which is far too little reported or discussed.

In the case of the guy from New York Dairy Foods, a so-called full-service dairy trade association......well in his case, it would have been nice if the moderators had held him to his five minutes. He launched into an impassioned tirade about why farmers better keep on paying their own hauling that had me and my companion ready to walk out. Vermont had the courage to enact legislation forcing processors to pay their own hauling. Then guys like this one and "cooperatives" like Agrimark convinced the legislature to postpone implementation until NY makes a decision. Now these guys are lobbying hard to make sure they get their way here.


I also got to meet Nate Wilson, a farmer from Chautauqua county (I thought I got a picture of Nate for you, but somehow I didn't). He has a cogent argument for why processors own the milk as soon as it is pumped out of the farm bulk tank, so they should be paying the freight from that point on. If you have time read his remarks in the Post Standard, linked to above. They make a lot more sense than the processors yelling that if they have to pay for hauling they won't pick up small farms. In NY at least most farms are small farms....and they can pass their costs on, where farmers are forced to eat them. I had found Nate's letter online when I was researching last week, forgot to bookmark it and couldn't find it again when I was working on the Farm Side so I was pretty tickled to meet him.

The meeting was stimulating, interesting and worth attending, even if the turnout was disappointing. Still it was good to come home......



Home, sweet home

7 comments:

R.Powers said...

Gee whiz, there's a sweet pastoral photo if ever there was one!

Anonymous said...

Heck I'd be so glad to be home too. In the ever increasing struggle to earn a buck by having someone else foot the bill, more issues like that will creep up. Even seeing it at our pharm.
What a beauteous view!!!!!!

Deb said...

It takes courage to attend a meeting like that. I know attendance in my state is way down at anything farm business related. Farmers are so discouraged. Your right - if we don't stand up for ourselves, no one will but alot of farmers here are just so tired of fighting - I know it's not just in my state, it's in every state.
I worry about where it's all going to end and how long people and generations are going to feel like they can battle gigantic business, milk factories and our government.

As for those activists groups and lawyers, I'd like to see them all dumped in the gutter somewhere!

I'd like to read your Farm Side Friday -

Anonymous said...

Always sad when folks don't care or know enough to attend.

threecollie said...

FC, thanks! It was just after a storm and the colors were so bright

Steve, it upsets me that the cooperatives, which are supposed to represent farmers, instead hire lawyers to fight them. The whole system has been corrupted. And thanks for the kind words

Jenn, thanks, it is my favorite porch


Deb, I go to any of them that I can if I can get away from the farm. I can't drive long distances because of problems with my back so I was going to stay home from this one, but a kind friend wanted to go too, so she drove.
A lot of guys are chopping hay, which is probably partly to blame for the lack of attendance. Also I think a lot of people just didn't know about it....too bad...I had a couple of friends that I didn't think to tell and they didn't know and missed it.

Tipper, I wish they would hold more sessions like this around the state. With fuel prices so high a lot of folks are going to not want to drive so darned far.

Islagringo said...

I was going to ask if that was a real picture but the commenters have answered it for me. I thought it might be a painting. One of your best photos ever. (and you've had a few!)

threecollie said...

Thanks, Wayne, it was such a pretty day that day