(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({ google_ad_client: "ca-pub-1163816206856645", enable_page_level_ads: true }); Northview Diary: Road trip with tacky treasures

Saturday, July 26, 2008

Road trip with tacky treasures

Tires have created the crisis de jour way too often the past couple of weeks here at Northview. Flat ones that is. Yesterday it was the stock trailer that showed up with one. We need to ship a cow next week, so Alan and I were elected to run up to Fort Plain for a new one, as well as to get some lug nuts and an impact socket for the repair job. Always inclined to combine tasks we stopped off to see my brother and his family for a few minutes as they live just down the road from the tire place. He is going to be working out of state for a while so we needed to check in.
Got to see their new garden pond, which is super nice. Couldn't stay long because we had so many stops to make.

Soon we passed a little garage sale. It was right next to a handsome old cemetery, so we grabbed a picture before we checked out the merchandise.
The nicest part about this particular sale is that everything was free!




We wouldn't have even stopped but I saw these from the road, just sitting on the table calling my name.



I love cow figurines, but these are the ugliest I have acquired yet..... in such an appealing way
. They are so tacky yet cute (of course I aspire to a pair of pink flamingos for the lawn too).

Then there was the dog. We were driving along one back road when a handsome golden retriever cross ran right out in the road in front of us, rendering movement impossible without hitting it. "Ruby!" Alan proclaimed, sure it was one of our friends' dogs, miles from her home. (I had never seen Ruby so I couldn't argue.) He checked her collar....just a rabies tag. No help there. I wasn't about to let him put a strange dog in the truck, Ruby or no Ruby, so we drove on down to our last stop (once she let us move the truck) and phoned home for our friend's phone number (hooray for cell phones). Of course when we got it no one answered at their farm.

Soooooo, on the way home we stopped there too to report the alleged Ruby sighting. Of course, Ruby was right there in the yard, waiting to bark us up the driveway. I have to admit, I could see why Alan thought the other dog was her though. The resemblance was remarkable. I wonder if they were litter mates. I am sure glad we didn't put dog A in the truck and drive her "home" though. That would have required some heavy duty explanations.






Upon arriving at our own home we found this guy lounging in the driveway.
Talk about solid comfort!
He didn't want to move until we were almost on top of him.

Much as I hate to leave the place and as much work as didn't get done in the garden because I wasn't home to do it, we had a great time. Adventure and excitement every step of the way

12 comments:

Carolyn said...

Just stopped by for a visit and wanted to say Hi and nice Blog!

Carolyn

Anonymous said...

You can make an interesting and pleasurable trip (and blog) even out of running errands. I love the cemetery photo.

Anonymous said...

Love the cow figurines - love to see a pic of the collection sometime. I can totally understand the flamingo thing - on our honeymoon we saw a '58 International pickup shoved off in the weeds a wheat field, it was 50's flamingo pink or coral, it was gorgeous. I still think about that tacky truck!

Anonymous said...

Fred,nice to see you yesterday. we saw a hummingbird at the red flower. it was really neat.
love ya
Mappy

Hi aunt marianne. love you bye. - tawny

Anonymous said...

Love, love, love the cows! I know exactly where you're coming from with those!
Stinks about the flat tires, ugh.
And, what is up with the wild rabbits this year? They don't even hop away from me any more. Altamont rabbits are as cozy as yours!

Freste said...

Funny, I see a gazillion hares at the base of the valley here. They and the turkeys will just as soon stand in your way and step on you than move. Is there something going on that I should know?
Your trip sounded so much like the comic, "Family Circus" that I could picture the detours. Ha!

Jeffro said...

Cute cows!

The MacBean Gene said...

I think combining tasks when traveling about is something country people do more than city folk.

threecollie said...

Carolyn, thanks so much for visiting and taking time to leave a comment. I liked your blog as well!

NW, when nothing much happens....lol
Thanks, about the photo. I wouldn't have thought to take it if not for Alan suggesting it.

Nita, thanks, I only have a couple of others, but they are very eclectic. ONe is a true antique my mom gave me, a very old and lovely thing. the others are pure kitsch...but they tickle me.
Wish I could have seen that truck. I just love the old Internationals.

Hey kid, I am going to miss you SO much. Hope Florida treats you well!
Love you too and congrats on the hummer.

Teri, I don't understand the thing with wild life. The boss wanted to shoot our fox because it is so tame, but I am sure it isn't rabid, just not scared of him. It hangs out in one of our buildings....so far I have talked him out of it...

Steve, Family Circus describes it perfectly! Now I will remember it with black dots and dashes. lol
We will never cease to tease Alan about "Ruby"

Jeffro, thanks! And I don't have to get up in the morning and milk them either!

threecollie said...

Dave, oops! Liz just gave me the dickens for missing your comment. I am so sorry. And yes, I think the farther you live from town the more things you combine into each trip. for us, a simple run to the bread factory outlet can take three hours, what with stopping at the vet...the lumber yard...etc. etc. etc. lol

Linda said...

I have a friend downriver from us that has a huge "ugly" cow collection. If they're homely she has one:) I always have my eye open for them.

threecollie said...

Linda, they are so much fun! I would have more of them if I had more china closet space. I have a couple that are truly hideous that I have had since I was a kid.