(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({ google_ad_client: "ca-pub-1163816206856645", enable_page_level_ads: true }); Northview Diary: Those wild cows at Northview

Friday, July 11, 2008

Those wild cows at Northview


Hattie, bringin' 'em on down. For some reason our lead cows are all Jerseys. Most of the time the herd is moved in and out with either Heather or one of her three daughters taking first position. It is the one time of year that I like the little brown cows.




Show cows have NO flight distance. Move toward them and, rather than moving away from you like any self respecting cow reacting to pressure, they either stand perfectly still and refuse to budge or come toward you. Here is how Liz gets her top cow, Mandy, out of the barn every day (the normal cows walk out on their own). We speculate that Mandy may have been a milk inspector in another life as she has to check everything out every day on her way to the door. Same feed bags, same breaker box, same gate...but different day. If she shows up with a clip board I am heading the other way...



The newest new milker, Becky's Evidence (wait for it, it's worth it) named after the Emerson Drive song of the same name. Evie had her first calf just a few days ago, but she has the routine pretty much figured out already. We have a whole mess of cows named after their songs (Simple Miracles, Drive, Moments, Hollywood Kiss, Lucky (for Lucky Man, my favorite), November, Countrified, Lemonade-Becky's top show cow-heck there are a whole bunch of 'em. I can't remember 'em all) and the girls are working on photos of them to give to the guys next time we get to a concert....hoping to make it to Vermont State Fair to see them. I think I am more excited than they are.





This is for Gumbo
Sorry FC

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great pics as usual. You hit the nail on the head on the cow personality thing - our lead cow, Pretty Girl, who is getting old, is deftly training her sons and daughters to step up. The others all wait for her cue.
I like the photo idea for the concert. I hate to butcher our Keith (Urban) this fall. But, we can just name another one after him!
Maybe you can convince the girls to do a photo post of their collage for Emerson Drive?

Deb said...

Lovely ladies you have........I'm rather partial to those little brown cows :)
Hope you make it to the fair - I remember it being lots of fun.

Stacy said...

I love that you named the cows after Emerson Drive songs!

And what a nice rainbow for sweet little Gumbo.

threecollie said...

Sorry guys...been trying to comment back and blogger keeps eating my comments.

Anonymous said...

Great pictures-and I always love reading about your cows. Wish I had some of my own. Well at least one.

threecollie said...

Thanks Tipper!