(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({ google_ad_client: "ca-pub-1163816206856645", enable_page_level_ads: true }); Northview Diary: The best laid plans

Thursday, September 11, 2008

The best laid plans

Of mice and mothers...gang aft agley.
Or to put it more plainly we got everything done that we undertook yesterday except any corn. The weather men sprang a frost warning on us so the afternoon was spent dragging house plants indoors and finding canvases......oh, and saying hasty prayers that the corn would be spared so we can finish freezing what we can and giving the rest away to friends and relatives.


A Mennonite conveyance

We did run up to the Farm Progress Show for about an hour. It is so close it is hard to resist.

A not so Mennonite conveyance


In the end I don't think it froze or is going to between now and daybreak. A fuzzy, wet fog came in and the crickets are still chirping vigorously. I hope I am right! The "new" tractor, which is actually second hand is quirky in its starting. The dealer came down yesterday morning and got it going....just tightened a loose wire. Then yesterday afternoon after starting up fine all through mowing hay and drawing down loads it froze up again. Going to call them as soon as they open this morning. I am sure they will make it right, but it certainly is a pain to be stalled again. Haying, between breakdowns and horrible weather, has gone very badly this summer and we are way, way behind.


Some farm land....taken through the windshield while going about fifty, excuse the lack of clarity




7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Praying about that tractor ... and I hope you weren't driving when you were taking those pictures. :)

Throwback at Trapper Creek said...

I hope the tractor woes all happen while you can still call the dealer. So frustrating :(

I'm sending good thoughts for your haying, what an awful year. We picked the last of ours out of the field last night - unload today between every other thing that needs doing. It's such poor quality it will be bedding. I hope yours fared better.

R.Powers said...

Infernal combustion engines are headaches on any scale.
Hope yours works out okay.

Anonymous said...

at least the cherry pie was good. :)

threecollie said...

AKagag, thank you so much....the dealer came in again yesterday and worked on it and it seems to be doing okay now....and no, Liz was driving. lol

Nita, thanks, it sure has been a frustrating year

FC, infernal says it all doesn't it?

Alan, good for what?

Anonymous said...

Arrrrrghhhhhhhhhh, Liz was driving???????? Strap yerserf in good! Doesn't history repeat it self from some concert or something? No wonder the pics were a little out of focus.

hehehe

Anyhoo, those are the best kind of pics, the ones on the fly. I'm trying to get a good pic of a farm on a very hilly site but traffic is a good 70 or better so it's been somewhat of a challenge.

threecollie said...

Steve, I injured my back while the boss was laid up last year with his broken shoulder. I can drive but it is very uncomfortable for me...so most of the time I rely on my trio of trusty chauffeurs to haul me around.
I wasn't lucky enough to get quite the lovely patchwork effect of fields and woodlands that I was trying for in my quick out the window shot. Hope you have better luck with yours, but please be careful!!