(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({ google_ad_client: "ca-pub-1163816206856645", enable_page_level_ads: true }); Northview Diary: Corn

Tuesday, September 09, 2008

Corn

A Teri chicken...isn't he a cutie? And tame as a kitten (thanks Teri)

The sweet corn is finally ripe...... and there is a lot of it. Thousands of fat, golden, ears, row on row, as uniform as peas in a pod. It is tasty too.( I know because we ate a LOT of it yesterday.) Posting may be a little on the light side as Liz and I endeavor to freeze enough for winter......we like corn....we really like corn. This may take a while.

We started yesterday afternoon and got a few packages done. I even did some after milking last night. I am happy to report, (while still somehow maintaining a certain level of tastefulness), that a time-honored method of raccoon prevention seems to be working. Every day, all summer, while we were milking or the guys were working on our assorted broken down tractors and machinery, when nature called they were called to duty by the evil motherperson.

Make like a dog I told them. Mark the boundaries of the corn as our territory. Tell the thrice-damned varmints where to get off. I repeated the story of Farley Mowat and the wolves and the tea pot in Never Cry Wolf.....And like the yeomen they are, they rallied despite certain misgivings on their part (they are after all guys and although the corn field isn't exactly a porch, it is an outdoor venue). I am sure they got tired of hiking up to the corn patch but there was little complaining.

Nothing else has ever kept the coons away and they got most of our corn nearly every other year. It was like a desperate race trying to beat them to our crop. This year there are a few bird ripped ears, but no coon damage so far so I am real thankful for the menfolk. It was kind of above and beyond the call of duty. Wish us luck today.......


12 comments:

Jeffro said...

Heh. That didnt' work with the dog food here.....

Dani said...

He's a handsome boy! Is he a Sultan breed?

Anonymous said...

Hey - you could package it and sell it as Invisible Coon Fencing! That's wild, and I sure hope it continues to work until you've harvested your share. Don't they have to reapply it after it rains?

Freste said...

The same seems to work for solicitors, people who ramble accidentally onto the property and door-to-door salesmen.
I do detect a one-sidedness here. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...

LOL

Congrats on the success!

Throwback at Trapper Creek said...

Does that work with Jehovah Witness' Just kidding - do you ever have to fill in for the guys?

Glad you got finally got some corn - nothing tastes better in the winter.

Trapper Creek Daughter said...

Man, I don't know what to say, that was funny! At least you found something that works!

Good luck on getting it all in in time.

Linda said...

Too funny, pee on command! Cute bird.

Breezey375 said...

Is the White Fluffy. Awww! I loves the White Fluffy....

Anonymous said...

it would have helped if someone hadn't made 25 ears to eat last night.

Windyridge said...

What a cutie. Some day we will have free range chickens.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on your corn crop! I'm always telling husband, brother, nephew - PEE ON THE TREES! They're used to it now, but thought I was nuts way back when I first started the command!
Dani, the chicken is a cochin sizzle (threecollie, I finally figured it out, only took 30 chicks). Silkie father/cochin frizzle hen (the smooth chick in photo carries the frizzle gene). And windyridge, I have a few more, say when!

threecollie said...

Jeffro, years ago in another life and another corn field it worked and we have been so besieged by raccoons we decided to give it a try

Dani, Teri has your answer below

NW, now there is a thought. We need to make some money somehow! Yes on the rain

Steve, see, it is a viable strategy in many venues. We didn't have corn on the cob for dinner last night....I had seen all I wanted of it for a few hours. Liz and I processes three large feed bags full in a couple of hours and were very proud of ourselves

Nita, I don't think it works the same with shemales and I am poorly equipped in some ways as well. lol Never tried it on the Witnesses, but they don't come around much here...something to do with five noisy dogs.

Aussie O, thanks!

Linda, there are details I can't share here, but it was actually even funnier than that.

Beezeeee....and he loves you


Alan, yeah, freezing corn at nine PM is not normally on my agenda and I would much rather keep it that way

WR, he is very sweet and tame thanks to Teri. We can't do free range though. We have many varmints that like chicken too much and they only last a day or so when we let them out.

Teri, thank you! I knew there must be other folks who used this simple, cheap, and so very manly anticritter strategy, but not so many seemed to be familiar with it. There was talk of putting up electric fence, but this was so much easier.
The chickies you gave us are the cutest darned things I have ever seen. The little black one hops right on Liz's shoulder when she feeds and cleans them.