(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({ google_ad_client: "ca-pub-1163816206856645", enable_page_level_ads: true }); Northview Diary: Christmas Bird Count

Saturday, December 27, 2008

Christmas Bird Count

Alan, Becky and I are off to do 'er today, with the brothers and family and all. Our family has a small section of the Johnstown circle, Mayfield South, that my dad started doing before the boss and I were even married.....one of our favorite holiday traditions is to drive and walk all day counting every cardinal, chickadee and other avian critter that we see. Sometimes we get so desperate for birds that we count the golden eagles on garages and blue birds on mail boxes (we don't turn them in to the offical count though.).

We do our part of our family Christmas celebrating today too, which is why yesterday was an insane whirlwind of sewing, quilting, wrapping...... and interruptions. Phone calls...you would think the darned thing was possessed the way it rang. I'll bet I jogged off five pounds of Christmas cheer jogging and dodging dogs to answer it. One call was the milk tester so we had to test last night. While we were trying to get the testing done twin calves were born almost two weeks early. Heifer and a dead bull. All you farmers know what's up with heifers born twin to a bull...usually they are freemartins and will never breed. So that was exciting.

Had a first calver have a little bull in the morning too and she was insane....wait a minute, let me write that correctly. INSANE! I have been milking next to her for a couple of weeks and we are talking hand-raised, much handled animal here. Still even with the "kickers" on and me holding her tail, she kicked the boss right in the head. Before we got her milked it took FOUR of us to hold her still....and we were at the same time trying to finish up a night's testing. Way too exciting.

She has two sisters in the herd, by two different sires, and they both are challenging as well, although one is drying up for her second calf and the other has had a bunch of them. The pundits say temperament isn't hereditary. I say hah! The original cow in this family, old Cubby, was the sweetest thing you could imagine.... a really nice, gentle old cow. Every single one of her daughters, granddaughters and auxilary offspring is miserable. Every single, solitary one of them. This new heifer, a Straight-Pine Elevation Pete daughter named Cider, stands in my line. I can barely milk old Zinnia who stands in the stall next to her without Cider kicking me. I dread the day I have to start milking the heifer by myself......

At the end of all this is a video of Lizzie's rooster, Mr. Fluff, given to her by Teri last summer. She went out to film the duck...oh, that's right I forgot to tell you about the duck.......and asked Fluff to crow for the camera so he did...do play it, he is quite a chicken.

Photo by Liz

And about the duck.....besides the phone calls, trio of calves, assorted furnace fan belt emergencies and milk testing, somebody showed up here with a big, fat, white, part Muscovy duck in their car yesterday. They said it was running down the road in front of the farm, so they brought it up to see if it was ours.
It wasn't.
They left it with us anyhow.

We are not exactly equipped for duck husbandry, (the turkey is still running loose in the feed room part of the hen house) so the boss took it up to Hand's and gave it to one of the girls who had lost her hen duck a few days ago.

Anyhow my word for the day was arrgggghhhhh.....but I must admit. I truly hate to be bored and really never allow my mind to get into that state if I can help it. Living here, what with people dropping off poultry and all the other stuff that goes on, is a big help with that situation....a really big help.



Mr Fluff

8 comments:

Deb said...

Way too much excitement going on at Northview!

Good luck with your bird count - we rarely see cardinals here in Maine. My Mom used to have several every day at her feeders in VT.
I'm sorry about the bull calf. It's always sad to lose one. Twins are tough - hope the heifer turns out ok.
Cute duck - glad he's at your house though :)

Enjoy your day!

Earl said...

Gosh, I never have to be there, you grabbed my mind by my ear and drug me all over looking at your day - and I know I have to look up some of those words and things that farmers know... isn't LIFE grand? of course it is.

Throwback at Trapper Creek said...

Geez, woman you have crammed more in one day than most of us do in one season!

Sorry about the calving and the "non- hereditary" problems with the heifer.

Have a great day counting birds!

R.Powers said...

Yowza! Such pandemonium, such familiarity!
Hope your Christmas was great!

Anonymous said...

Fred, Had a great time today!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks for the seeds and frog photos.We already put them up in the kitchen.The lettice will tast good also.Thanks!!!!!
Matt&Lisa

threecollie said...

Deb, it was sure a crazy day. We gave the duck away, not being big fans of ducks. lol thanks!

Earl, it really is. I hate being bored and it is almost never a problem...take care


Nita, thanks, just the way it goes I guess. We had a spectacular day birding, one of the most fun ever. I will post about it in just a bit.

FC, it was crazy,,,,Christmas was great, thanks, hope yours was as well.

Matt, I am so glad you liked them! I didn't know if it was presumptuous of me to give you my own photography, but I hoped you would enjoy them. We had a great day too! Love you!

Anonymous said...

I did the bird count around here yesterday (just in my yard) 100 horned larks, 2 magpies and a prairie chicken in the ash tree!
I've never heard of a stray duck, a stray dog maybe.

Anonymous said...

I saw Mr. Fluff on facebook - too cute! And the duck...aah. Back when, my cloverbud 4H group rasied some ducks and geese. I am just not a duck and goose type of farmer. However, I do know the type to drop 'animals' off at the closest farm. Sigh.