(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({ google_ad_client: "ca-pub-1163816206856645", enable_page_level_ads: true }); Northview Diary: A New Blog

Thursday, April 09, 2009

A New Blog

With all that has been going on lately I have failed to get something done that I really wanted to..

And that is to share a delightful new blog with you. Southview Farm is written by my sister-in-law, Lisa, who is married to my terrific younger brother Matt. You can spot him in the comments every now and then as Mappy. (When he was just a little guy that is what our wonderful Lithuanian landlady called him. He calls me Fred. ....It's a long story). You can see him at his weekday job in today's post at Southview.

Anyhow, check it out! Matt and Lisa are the weavers who made our wonderful rugs, blankets and towels and they have an assortment of interesting animals, day jobs and good kids. You will see fish and looms and horses and lots of nice photography.

********As soon as we get in from chores, which I am leaving now to pursue, I will try to get a picture of yesterday's puzzling object in its usual place. I just thought the patent date was neat, as it gives an idea of the possible age of this old house. (Trust Alan to find something like that.)

******And check this out too! As we pursued a home for our milk last week and this, I kept hearing rumors about what is going on in Maine. Now we find out that it is true. After what we have been through my heart just aches for all these farmers. Meeting organic standards is challenging and costly. These farmers who just got dumped by the people who buy their product have worked long and hard to obtain the organic designation. I hope a solution is found for them and quickly. Milk is a perishable product so hours and days matter immeasurably to these poor folks!

4 comments:

Deb said...

We in Maine are just sick about the situation with organic milk. So many hard working farmers are selling their cows, farms, etc. It's a crying shame and our lawmakers/representatives are of NO help - it makes me heartsick....

I'll be sure to check out the new blog :)

Have a great day ~

~ Sara ~ said...

I can't say I'm surprised with the news of the organic. I think it's extreme however. Why not just lower their price or start a new product line. PUSH DAIRY!!!! :) It's all nutz...

And I also know it's easier said than done. This is the reason I'm all for on farm processing! If you have to dump milk do to low sales you could at least have feeder pigs and chickens to feed it to. There is nothing better than milk fed pork and chicken.

threecollie said...

Deb, I feel so bad for the farmers up there even though I think organic is mostly a marketing tool. From personal experience in the past couple of weeks, things are rough for them. Thanks for stopping by and visiting Lisa... I am enjoying her new blog so much

Sara, hear, hear!!! We have been flirting with that exact concept for the past few years and I am thrilled to read someone else is too. We have raised pork on milk for years, and also raise our beef calves on milk until about six weeks before we process them. The beef is amazing!!!And we use milk that would be thrown out anyhow, like from the quarter milker or high count cows. We did sell some milk fed pork just on word of mouth last year. We want to try to get into a group that markets home meat products in the city...because that is where the money is.

DayPhoto said...

This just makes me sick! SICK! Although Terry comes from a long line of generations that were dairy farmers, and we milked for yearssssssss, we have never seen the mess that is going on in the milk/dairy world right now.

We have had problems with highly pershiable farm products, lettuce, broccoli, sweet corn, with whole fields being left to rot, we have never seen this massive impact on the daiy farm.

We send you our heartfelt concerns and prayers!

Terry and Linda
http://coloradofarmlife.wordpress.com

http://coloradofarmlife