(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({ google_ad_client: "ca-pub-1163816206856645", enable_page_level_ads: true }); Northview Diary: Nobody Likes Asparagus

Friday, May 08, 2009

Nobody Likes Asparagus


But me.
Isn't that the luckiest thing!

And I am kind of proud of myself. About three weeks ago Microsoft Word 2000, the word processing program upon which I do my writing, put itself in full screen mode and stayed there, stuck. All my menus and tool bars were gone. Years of customizing the program just so, so that I didn't have to think about saving and word counting and thesaurus and all those other goodies, just gone.

It was nasty! I managed to use an online word count tool. I got things done as best I could, but it was really hard. You can supposedly press ALT V to get a view menu and get your stuff back. Or ESC to get out of full screen mode.

None of these things worked. The only other alternative was to edit the registry of the computer.
Frankly I was chicken!

However, after three weeks of misery I couldn't stand it any more. (I had uninstalled and reinstalled Word half a dozen times, and repaired it and changed it to no avail.)
Finally, I went to this site, followed the directions, and presto! In seconds, the tool bars were back.
Sadly all my customizations are gone, and of course, after so long I have forgotten how I did them, but I can happily manage the way things are. And I am glad I was brave and did the edit registry thing. Now if I can just find some more asparagus.

14 comments:

Sandcastle Momma said...

I'm impressed that you did the registry thing! I'm terrified to mess with that and had to have my husband work on mine not too long ago. Glad it worked out for you!

From one asparagus lover to another - that stuff is SO good!

Jeffro said...

At least asparagus doesn't have a @&%#*! registry!

Jan said...

boneless chicken breasts - $1.49/lb.

asparagus - $1.99/lb.

This week's specials at my favorite supermarket.

Scott said...

For the record, I love asparagus. I say you haven't lived until you've had white asparagus. I had it several times - with butter - in Germany, and I'm here to tell you it is like eating candy!!

R.Powers said...

The appeal escapes me, but others in my clan like it.
Doesn't grow well in the heat down here.

DayPhoto said...

I am the only one who eat asparagus also. Lucky me! I like it every so much, in so many different ways! Yummmm

I'm glad you got your computer fixed. Those problems scare me.

Linda
http://coloradofarmlife.wordpress.com/

Kritter Keeper at Farm Tails said...

i love fresh asparagus but the good husband likes the slimy canned stuff. computers are a pain at times...glad you got your program recovered.

Ericka said...

asparagus does not equal food. i couldn't even bribe the dog into eating it. but, whatever floats your boat!

and congrats on the registry rebuilding!

Throwback at Trapper Creek said...

I'm joining the list of people who wonder how people can eat asparagus ;)

Computers can be so annoying, glad you got your's fixed!

lisa said...

Just think of it as a new beginning for your programs. Matt and I love aaparagus!!

Unknown said...

I can make anything good with a little sugar and spices! We have sweet corn coming up! Yea! (no pictures yet though)

Teri said...

I don't like asparagus either! Also, I accidently deleted Microsoft Word a couple of weeks ago (I just explained in a comment in my blog.) Horrors. There is no fixing it. I have to buy it, I think.

threecollie said...

SC Momma, I really didn't want to, but I need it so much to write and it was slowing me down so badly trying to think how to get things done without tool bars. I have loved it all my life...asparagus that is. great stuff!!

Jeffro, no, and it comes up so nicely year after year....this year it almost got away from me though. One day there was none, the next it was two feet tall!!

Jan, sounds good to me!

Scott, I saute it in butter and I just love it. I don't have a whole lot so I am not really sorry nobody else likes it. lol

FC, it likes it up here so well that it will grow wild from seeds spread by the birds. In fact my best plant, right by the back door kind of planted itself.

LInda, great stuff! I hated to mess with the registry, but I need that program so badly, so I took the chance....

KK, I like both, although I never buy canned since I am the only one who eats it.

Ericka, there is no middle ground on the stuff I guess. Either it is a huge treat or you hate it. I like most vegetables, except perhaps eggplant.

Nita, as I said to Ericka, there is no medium in asparagus. You either love it or hate it. lol

Lisa, do you guys have any? It is easy enough to grow for sure

Tim, wow! Sweet corn! I can't wait...


Teri, oh, dear that is terrible!! I hope you can somehow find it!

Anonymous said...

I LOVE asparagus! I can eat a whole pound all by myself. I need to plant some in my garden that's for sure.