(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({ google_ad_client: "ca-pub-1163816206856645", enable_page_level_ads: true }); Northview Diary: Passing it On

Monday, June 08, 2009

Passing it On


My dad is a lifelong birder. Not surprisingly some of my earliest memories involve seeing Baltimore orioles for the first time when we moved to the country. A barn owl in our old barn. Barn Swallows. Bobwhites. I will never forget our first feeder cardinal back before they were common up here. Over the past decade or so various teams of us have always done the Audubon Christmas count. We also eagerly indulge in an ongoing battle of avian oneupsmanship over who sees the best birds throughout the year.

Now Alan is joining us in this endless delight. He has started a life list and will soon surpass any ability I might have in IDing birds in the field. (It doesn't hurt to study this stuff in college and to have sharp young eyes to boot.) We took a trip for some dog and cat food and other sundries yesterday and birded all the way home.


Can you spot the duck?


He pulled off the road here, something I have always wanted to do but was afraid of the traffic. It was like Heaven. Birds began to pop out of the woods and swamp the minute we parked. Green herons, mallards, cedar waxwings, red winged blackbirds, robins, tree swallows, Canada geese, they paraded by one after another. We could have stayed there all day with the camera, binoculars and field guide.



Alas the perishables were getting warm so we settled for taking the long way home. He got two lifers along the way, a brown thrasher and a meadowlark. (We saw several of the latter) I suspect that helping him with his list is going to be much more fun than doing my own was.


I hope we can go again
soon. I can't think of anything more fun and the price is right.
A little gas.
A little time.
Great company. What's not to like?




13 comments:

Dani said...

It's so cool that you and Alan have a wonderful hobby to share together!

BIRDS RULE! :)

Teri said...

Good time, good company, and cheap. That is the BEST!!!! I agree with Dani, nice to have family-sharing hobbies.

Tina Marie the Willow Witch said...

That first shot is so great... Im not sure I have it in me to be quiet enough to bird watch, must be that is why all my bird shots involve only the tail as it is flying away **hangs head** If it werent for patient, quiet people like you, I'd never see a birds face.... Thanks

Jeffro said...

Anybody tell you lately that you are a great nature photographer? Cuz it's true!

lisa said...

I love the bird picture, fantastic, but they all were good too!

Anonymous said...

waddle,waddle,waddle...i really love the last one! :)

mappy said...

Fred Thats great I get so much enjoyment out of the birds !! I know Alan will to. Wonderfull pictures. I can see the duck!!
Love ya
Mappy
PS It was great to see you guys yesterday.

Yolanda said...

I love this.I am glad to have found your blog.

DayPhoto said...

I love birds, so this photos are just perfect.

Linda
http://coloradofarmlife.wordpress.com/

threecollie said...

Dani, we are so lucky...and I agree...birds rule!

Teri, it is so much more fun to share!

WW, this time we were just sitting in the car with the windows down...so it was easy. Thank you

Jeffro, those are very kind words indeed! Thanks!

Lisa, thanks!

anon, I couldn't believe it when they trotted right out of the swamp almost the minute we parked!

Matt, thanks, it was terrific to get to spend a little time together. Love the pond!!!

Yolanda, welcome to Northview! And thanks for the kind words.

Linda, thank you. We were lucky, it landed right next to the car.

Marti said...

Beautiful photos! Thanks for sharing!

Sorry for not being around - been dealing with a lot of health issues here. Sure have missed you - big hugs to you!

Scott said...

That is a beautiful picture of the bird (the first one)! Wow, great shot!!!

Scott.

threecollie said...

Thank you Marti, I know you and your family are facing a lot of challenges right now...you take care!

Scott, thank you so much. It was just a lucky thing, having it land so close to us.