(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({ google_ad_client: "ca-pub-1163816206856645", enable_page_level_ads: true }); Northview Diary: Rain on the Roof

Monday, June 15, 2009

Rain on the Roof


Liz had a friend over during milking last night and they were in the barn talking cows somewhere. Alan had gone to the big tractor pull in Dansville. Becky was turning cows out. The boss and I were in the milk house tearing down to milk the bucket cows, of which there are ridiculously many due to everyone calving at once. The sun was shining.....

Suddenly there was an awful racket as if a truck with about a dozen cracked pistons was coming right into the milk house with us. Snapping and cracking and roaring

"What is that?" I asked, alarmed.

"A train," said the boss, mistaken.

It was rain.

It was hitting the steel roof of the milkhouse and shed so hard that the din was deafening. Liz's friend had left his truck windows down.

Oops.

It only lasted a few seconds and then there were double rainbows and stereo robins. I stood on the milkhouse step and just soaked in the delight and beauty.....even though we certainly didn't need the rain.

When the sun finally let go on the long summer day, distant lightning flitted across the sky, making reading impossible, as standing on the porch watching was more interesting. The thousands of lightning bugs flickering on lawn and pasture didn't hurt either. They made an incredible show of fairy lights....a million reminders of why we put up with NY winters and governors.

I tried for video but. alas got blackness.

Alan made it home all right, covered with oil from a tractor that blew something and bursting with stories of his adventures, which included an osprey at Montezuma National Wildlife refuge, through which they drove. It is going to be interesting getting the oil out of his favorite shirt...

Mom starts chemo today and prayers would be much appreciated. She is the strongest and most positive person I have ever known but these are hard times.

16 comments:

NumberWise said...

"...why we put up with NY winters and governors." I said the same thing recently to a friend in LA, and it's really true. Thanks for writing about and photographing so much of the beauty and nature around us. A stop at your blog is a few minutes of sanity in these crazy days.

Island Rider said...

Praying for your mom today.

lisa said...

It rained here for quite awhile. I know what you mean, it poured. I did get some good pictures of it coming in.

Jeannelle said...

Your descriptions are superb! "Stereo robins"...I really like that.

May showers of blessings reach your mom.

Deb said...

I can almost see your rainbows and hear your robins :) Thanks for sharing your beautiful NY scenery with the rest of us.

Will keep your Mom in our thoughts and prayers.

Throwback at Trapper Creek said...

Beautiful description of your typical farm day - I was thinking of your Mom yesterday and will continue to do so.

Jan said...

I'm so envious of your rain on the roof or anyplace else. Lovely description. Prayers for your mother.

Sandcastle Momma said...

A double rainbow sounds absilutely beautiful - don't think I've ever seen one.

I will definitely be praying for your mom!

Dani said...

Hugs and prayers to you all.

nyvolfan said...

Yeah the Oil Shower sure was interesting! lol At least we were able to get Jen's car clean. I'm not sure if we had more fun at the pull or at the car wash. lol Tell him not to worry about the shirt. I have a couple new ones I have yet to wear so he can have one of them.

My thoughts and prayers are with your Mom and family.

Anonymous said...

Prayers for Mom, 3C. Chemo is tough at any age.

joated said...

Heck of a description of an afternoon T-storm and its sudden and amazing aftermath.

Prayers for your mom. Hope the chemo works.

Oh, and good luck with the oiled shirt!

Teri said...

Your mom - and you - are in my thoughts and prayers.
Our new barn has a metal roof too and the rain always sounds incredibly loud.

threecollie said...

NW, yes, there is so much bad about NY, but we have some of the most beautiful scenery and the best farm land there is to be had. Whenever we travel, although we see amazing wonders I am always happy to be home again. And amazed afresh each day at what there is to be seen right out my windows. Thanks for your kind words....hope you can come to camp this summer, although I understand how very busy you are.

IR, thank you. We both appreciate that very, very much

Lisa, your pictures are terrific! You folks have a nice view up there too.

Jeanelle, thank you so very much for your kind words and good thoughts

Deb, thank you too. My mom has been so comforted by the outpouring of love and support that has come from everywhere in her life in this challenging time. She has touched a lot of lives I guess and you might say they are touching back now. Take care!

Nita, thank you. That means a lot to me and she reads this too, so it touches her as well.

Jan, thank you. I so wish we could parcel this rain out where it is wanted and needed. Here it is so soggy there is literally a carpet of slugs up in the garden...such wanton destruction!

SC Momma, thank you from the depths of my heart for your prayers...the rainbows have been one positive of all this rain. We have had magnificent skies every day and sweeping rainbows, sometimes as many as three at once, whenever it rains.

Dani, thank you...very, very much!

NYV, he had so much fun! It is so good of you to take him...he just loves it. As for the shirt, I think it is going to survive. It had to spend the day in the washer, but it looked pretty good when I took it out. He loves that shirt! Thanks for your kind words about mom...

akagaga, thank you...she is amazing. I would be rolling around on the floor whining and feeling sorry for myself. She just stays positive and keeps soldiering on.

Joated, thanks, it was unwelcome but very lovely. Thanks for your good thoughts too.

Teri, thanks for holding her in your prayers. I normally love the sound of rain on a metal roof...soothes me right to sleep. This year I am kinda ready for it to let up for a couple weeks so they can get some hay though. take care!

Kristen Montgomery Breh said...

Ooh, I love when nature throws us a surprise! It always keeps us on our toes. What an awesome experience. I love you.

threecollie said...

Kristen, it was kinda cool...except for Liz's friend's laptop which appears to have perished in the deluge. Thanks so much for commenting! We love you too and are delighted that the Internet is helping us keep in touch.