(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({ google_ad_client: "ca-pub-1163816206856645", enable_page_level_ads: true }); Northview Diary: Finding the Bright Side

Thursday, July 02, 2009

Finding the Bright Side



I like:

The soft garump of a sleepy green frog out in the garden pond. Since the pond is covered with platter sized lily pads (and lots of blossoms this summer) we rarely see the little fish However, the frogs are always there to add a bit of action to the watery still life canvas. I love it when their calls, either emphatic when the sun has warmed them up or just a gentle gurgle on this early, foggy day, remind me that they think my homemade pond is close enough to the real thing to suit their herpie little selves.

I like:

Spending a couple of hours yesterday using a Barnes and Noble gift certificate given for my upcoming birthday by my delightful middle brother and wife. What joy, what joy....with a fledgling birder joining the happy pastime of counting and checking and observing the flying wild things, new field guides were in order. We have what we are mostly positive is a willow flycatcher living next to the driveway. When we looked it up in my old Birds of North America, which I have used all my life, Willow wasn't an option for a flycatcher. Time to catch up with the changes in taxonomy (dang those lumpers and splitters). So a new Birds of, a Sibley's, which I haven't used before, and a new Peterson's. Cool huh? Peck's Lake here we come, armed and dangerous with Latin names and new field marks and youthful enthusiasms galore. I like that. Now if my darling baby son will find my Kaufman's, which vanished a couple weeks ago when he was in charge...

I like:

Knowing that camp is coming. I feel guilty leaving LIz and Ralph with so much to do. There is enough work for all five of us never to catch up because it has rained until it is ridiculous. Flood watches every day. Flood warnings every night. Fat, leaking thunderstorms, lumbering up the valley, dropping inches every time they breath. I look forward to a too short lumpy bed, cheap novels, listening to loons languidly laughing. Board games. Catching six inch rock bass. Watching the sun rise over the water. I feel guilty, but that time of recharging and reordering is overdue and needed. I like knowing that it is so so close.



I like:

Talking with all of you. You add such color and texture to the fabric of all our lives. Even though you don't hear the boss talking too much here, even he loves us reading to him what is going on in your worlds. He comes out sometimes to see your pictures (especially all you farmers.....especially when it is machinery-thanks for the combines, Jeffro). We talk about your babies, both bovine and human. Your cats, dogs, snakes and fish. Birds and weather in states far away and jokes from England that brighten the day.
Thanks!

15 comments:

lisa said...

Its nice to know that you can always find something good to say even if it is gloomy outside!! I can't wait for pecks either!! See you there and have a Happy Birthday. You can come up Sunday for birthday cake for you and Matt. Mom and Dad and Aunt Sandy and Uncle Rich are coming so far.

Deb said...

Your "bit of cheer" travels far my friend :) As gloomy as it is, it's hard to be a gloomy farmer. Just too much here that brings me joy although I wish the rains that pour on you would stop heading straight for me :)

Happy early Birthday - enjoy your time away at camp; you've certainly earned it!

Jeffro said...

Well, I enjoy the portraits you paint of a life and land far different than mine, so there you are.

And, Gearheads Unite!

joated said...

Very nice little piece. Your word pictures are fantastic. "Fat, leaking thunderstorms, lumbering up the valley, dropping inches every time they breath." Sheer poetry!

And good luck with IDing that willow flycatcher! It and the alder and least are soooo close in appearance that the guys and gals I go birding with need the song to be sure which is which. So, of course, we came across one (or the other) last Thursday that was totally mute! Never did put it on my list.

Dani said...

I hope you have a wonderful birthday! :)

I went and looked up the flycatcher and it's such a cute little thing! We had a pair of Great Crested Flycatchers this year in our screech box. It's so much fun watching the birds going about their day. Thankfully, John loves birds too and doesn't get tired of the play by play that I give him when he get's home. :)

~ Sara ~ said...

Here is hoping you have a very nice and peaceful birthday! And have a good time recharging your "battery". It's a wonderful thing when it happens. :)

PIP PIP and Cheerio from a wonderfully cool and less humid SWMO!!!

R.Powers said...

No guilt allowed.
You work too hard to not get a well deserved break at the camp.
Enjoy and take lots of great pictures to share with us!

Happy upcoming birthday too!

dickiebo said...

And we, on this side of le pond like reading your blog. Ta very much so!

Scott said...

I like:

Your post. :-)

Jeannelle said...

Oh, the lake photo is absolutely gorgeous!

I loved your description of the thunderstorm moving in.....very good.

Enjoy the bird books. Have a happy birthday!

Anonymous said...

I'm always happy to see the bright side of things! I love the photograph, it's awesome!

Anonymous said...

we enjoy reading all about your daily adventure...keep up the wonderful work :)

happy b'day...i've got one fast approaching too!

Anonymous said...

Thank you, threecollie. Your writing is dreamy and I wish you would write a book! Same for your photos, I'm glad you're in my world.
Enjoy the frogs and camping!

Throwback at Trapper Creek said...

Enjoy your time off, and we are all looking forward to your posts about your time at the camp.

THANK YOU for sharing your wild, New York dairy life, it is always interesting and you tell it so well!

threecollie said...

Lisa, I am so hoping things go well for camp and that mom feels well at that time. Thanks for the invite for cake!

Deb, I know what you mean about the good parts...and about the rain...thanks for the good wishes!

Jeffro, thanks. I think you and my guys could have some great talks if you ever met. Congrats on your wheat being all in. It is so cool to read about how farming is done there.

Joated, thanks for the kind words! They mean a lot to me.
We really do think it is a willow, mostly because of the call. We spent hours on What bird, going through all the fly catchers and the willow calls seems exactly perfect to us. I am not taking it for my life list without a more expert opinion, but I am pretty sure that is what it is. It comes right up by the house most days, but it is so quick moving it is hard to pin down anything about it.

Dani, thanks! What a coincidence! I think our great crested showed up yesterday for the first time this summer. I say "think" because I only heard the loud, "wheep!" call and with the mockingbird around you can never be positive if you can't see the bird...and it was so grey out it was almost like night.

Sara, thank you so much. Glad to hear your weather is better. Maybe ours will follow!

FC, thanks, and thanks. I love taking pics at camp. The lake is a like a watery Miss America, always striking beautiful poses all day and all night. It fills the heart.

Thanks Dickiebo, reading yours has become a daily delight for me, although reading about how politics are going there is simply chilling. It is too easy to see ours going right down that same highway.

Scott, thank you! I like cool cousins!

Jeanelle, thanks for all your kind thoughts. I can't wait to get the field guides and play with them! It was so hard to decide which ones. lol

Anon, thanks for your kind wishes and a very happy birthday to you too!

Anon, thanks! I wrote a murder mystery back before I started blogging. Sadly it seems kinda lame now... lol

Nita, thank you! I love learning about farming and living on both coasts from my blogging friends.