(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({ google_ad_client: "ca-pub-1163816206856645", enable_page_level_ads: true }); Northview Diary: Hunting a Lost Calf

Thursday, August 06, 2009

Hunting a Lost Calf

We found junior Holstein critter just south of here.

While the boss and Liz were at the ball game (they had a great time btw and the Mets won 9-0) Alan and I undertook to find a missing calf. Bubbles, a big Ocean View Extra Special daughter of mine, had a bull calf by SWD Valiant out in the heifer pasture a couple days ago. We let her stay with him for a day then went to bring her down...and couldn't find him. It's a big pasture with a big hill.

If we didn't find him quickly yesterday we were going to put her back out so she could find him for us, but that wasn't our top choice as we would have had to sort her out from about twenty or so young stock again and she is a very hard to handle critter. She is a big cow and will charge you. I was wishing we worked stock on horseback like our rancher friends. Then we could have made short work of the job.

First we searched the thistle patch at the bottom of the hill. You wouldn't think a hundred-pound, bright black and white spotted calf would be easy to hide. However if mama pushes one into a clump of thistles it will lie invisible and never move even if you walk past it a foot away. We once searched all day for one that was lying right under a forage wagon that we must have passed twenty times.

After plenty of scratches and scrapes from the miserable thistles we decided that it just wasn't in there and headed up the great big hill behind the house. He went east and I went straight south.




A few minutes later I heard a hoarse moo somewhere south of me. I couldn't see it because of a patch of wild roses the size of a truck. It may sound silly but I can do a pretty successful imitation of a mama cow calling her baby. I proceeded to do so. Soon I could hear eager little moos hurrying in my direction. I pulled out my dog training whistle and called Alan. (Yeah, besides using the shepherd's whistle for the dogs I have always called the kids with it too...you can hear it a long ways away...people in town always thought I was awful calling my kids with a dog whistle, but it always got them home when I needed them.)

The kid is a lot more likely to be able to grab a calf on the hoof than I am. He hustled over.

We still hadn't actually seen the calf, but he went down behind the clump of wild rose bushes to where we could hear it bawling eagerly for mama.

When it saw him it took off at a dead run.
Straight back at me.
I was wearing my camera, carrying Alan's 12 gauge and a sorting stick. Needless to say I didn't grab it but just got out of the way.....Looked like Secretariat sailing away back to the north over the hill and gone....feet barely touching the ground in that weird off center run that cattle have.

Alan said..."point where it goes for me and I will run it down."

I did and he did....at least a quarter mile over the top of the hill, down the other side and back into the original thistle patch. When he caught up he grabbed its hips and pulled it to a stop. It fought like a wild thing, which I guess it was, but he put the halter I was carrying on it and began to lead it to the barn.... after we looked for his hat for ten minutes or so...it was lost in the race.

All the way to the barn the little bugger attacked him, charging his legs and bawling and snorting. I was like a wild rodeo bull in miniature. I felt sorry for it so..... scared at not finding its mother and instead being pursued by such a strange blond wolf. All is well that end well though and it is safe in the barn where no coyotes or turkey vultures roam.

But oh, how I wish I could run like that. And a long time ago I somewhere heard a story about how the breeder of SWD Valiant lost her prefix and couldn't use it on the calf, which went on to be a highly regarded Holstein sire. Thus she used SWD, which stood for Sold With Dam, a common auction term. I have no idea if this story is true but I think I will name my little bull, Frieland RWA Bat Man....RWA for runs with Alan.


15 comments:

joated said...

Sound like you had a rodeo of your own on the farm. Darn critters are part Houdini and part Rocky Marciano: they seem to be able to get out of any enclosure and will fight like the dickens when scared, pushed, or cornered.

re: Mets. yeah, they won 9-0 but lost players to injury--again. *sigh*

dickiebo said...

No doubt about it. Parade for fitness training at 0600 tomorrow! lol.

Jinglebob said...

Great story!

Yup, I'd a went and got my horse!

Deb said...

So glad to hear all ended well - for you and Alan and the calf. I hope none of you are worse for wear this morning!
Love the name - very fitting :)

~ Sara ~ said...

Been there, done that! LOL It's always nice to know that no matter what small dairy farm a person would or could go to it's always the say... save the difference in grain. :)

One good thing about it all... everyone is safe including momma and baby.

But hey!!! where are all the action shots!!! :) I just love it when baby calves run off with tails up and those invisible wings carrying them to parts unknown.

Dani said...

You guys have the best adventures!
;0

Anonymous said...

LOL I always think of the saying "high tail it outta there" when calves do that. If ever Alan learned to rope he might not even need a horse:)

R.Powers said...

Great wrangling! Hey, what's the story on that old truck?

DayPhoto said...

Aren't baby calves just the best at hiding! We 'lost' one once, when the Momma put it into the chico along the fence. Took us 1/2 day to find it, right next to the barn. Go figure!

Momma says STAY until I come get you or call, do NOT move, ever! And they do.

Linda
hhttp://coloradofarmlife.wordpress.com

threecollie said...

Joated, it was actually fun, which is an unusual concept in calf chasing. I am glad the boss and Liz got to go to the game at least and to see a good one. It is a tough job being a Mets fan most of the time but every now and then.....lol

dickiebo, ha, at six AM I am sitting here at the computer answering comments. Fingers are getting a good workout anyhow. lol

JB, I was thinking of you and Linda P while we were slogging around. I used to ride my old horse for such jobs back in the day. although he wasn't trained for roping or anything like that, he gave me a higher vantage point and got me over the ground quicker. alas he is gone now.

Deb, I was fine...I think he had some bumps and bruises, but he loved getting them. wish I had been quick enough to take a video

Sara, I knew you had probably had all that hunting for babies fun too and I though of you while we were out there. I wanted so much to get pics, but it all happened so fast that I never got a chance, alas

Dani, never dull, lol

LInda, other than it is not much fun to chase them it is fun to watch them run. they are so awkward and yet they get over so much ground so incredibly fast.
And we should have a roper here...we waste a lot of time on stuff like chasing down babies. Liz is pretty good....but I think the rope we have is too short.

LInda, they are so good at it aren't they? We worry when we can't find one because we are overrun with coyotes and the vultures have taken to actually attacking them over the past two or three years.

lisa said...

I would be one of your hired hands not a problem!! What a work out!

Throwback at Trapper Creek said...

Good story - I thought you were going to say that was the getaway truck!

threecollie said...

Oops, FC, I missed answering you...it is an old farm truck that belonged to the boss's dad. It sits up there, along with another one, awaiting a dedicated restorer to return it to its former glory

LIsa, he was so proud of himself. lol

Nita, Hah! I didn't think of that but I wish I had. lol

Teri said...

Okay, can I borrow Alan?! I have to medicate some llamas and a couple are a handful. If I had an "Alan" it would be like winning the lottery! (Husband doesn't do animal stuff.)

threecollie said...

Teri, golly, wish I could loan you the Alan/Liz duo. She is the critter whisperer and does shots and all (vaccinated calves for us yesterday, saving a good deal of money for us) and both of them are strong and fearless. They are (and Becky too) a lot like winning the lottery. lol