(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({ google_ad_client: "ca-pub-1163816206856645", enable_page_level_ads: true }); Northview Diary: Fishing Mallet Pond and Looking Glass Pond

Monday, September 21, 2009

Fishing Mallet Pond and Looking Glass Pond

(Click for detail)



With college guys who were also taking care of lab work for terrestrial ecology class. (Middle pic in the first collage is college work-it just wasn't like that when I went). We saw newts, a red-bellied snake, Canada geese and assorted other common birds, some interesting fungi, an amazing sun rise, with light slanting across the corn fields and mountains and more beautiful scenery than is probably even legal. We saw Alan's friend's truck tail gate bobbing in front of us at great speed among stately trees and deeply ruts too. (I quickly learned where all the hand grips and toe holds are in his truck.)




They caught blue gills at Looking Glass Pond
(Burnt-Rossman Hills State Forest) . I got bites, but missed them.





I took 84 pictures, which after severe pruning and editing came down to these collages and pics.




It was nice. They were nice young men and I was flattered that they chose to accompany Alan on a fishing trip he engineered for his old mother. (I tried not to put too much of a damper on their fun.) It was nice to hike down the long hill to Mallet pond. It was not quite as nice to contemplate climbing back up. However, the boys brought their truck down and gave us a ride back up...backwards all the way! Alan's friend can back up better than anybody I have ever met.


It was fun (more for them than for me) to run for miles down those narrow woods roads from pond to pond. Boys are braver than old ladies and there were times when the tree trunks were a tad too close for comfort. The hill up to Looking Glass Pond was so steep that Alan's 5-speed Ram 1500 had all it wanted to climb it in second gear (coming down was worse...).



I was amazed to find places like this that I had never even imagined existed and so close to home at that. I hope we can go again. Soon.




7 comments:

June said...

How beautiful....!!!!

lisa said...

Cool. I loved your posts!

Anonymous said...

These shots really give me the itch to get out the poles and head up to Green Cove Pond and catch some trout. Beautiful pictures. :)

Anonymous said...

glad you had a good time, the weather has been nice too...if you had caught anything, would you eat them?...and i still don't like SNAKES!..yikes!

Paul said...

Those are great pics. I really like the collage way of displaying them. Fall is kicking in. I think your photos show a great transition between the seasons!

Ericka said...

sounds like a lovely day! your pictures are, as ever, beautiful. thanks for sharing. :-)

threecollie said...

June, thank you. It was an amazing day and I thank the boys for sharing with me

Lisa, thanks, I had the best time

Dibear, do it, you will be glad you did. We have a little good weather left...and thanks

anon, sorry about the snakes. I am a lover of herptiles...have been since I was a little kid...and I just can't resist the cute little ones

Paul, thanks, I had so many that I wanted to post that the collage feature seemed the only option. It was such a perfect day.

Ericka, thank you. I had such a fabulous time. I love the water, the woods, the wild things...it was great.