(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({ google_ad_client: "ca-pub-1163816206856645", enable_page_level_ads: true }); Northview Diary: A Puzzle

Thursday, October 15, 2009

A Puzzle

Liz and I are off to a conference today to hear David Martosko speak. Hopefully we will see you tomorrow.

Meanwhile, a funny thing happened on the way to milking the other day. Actually we were in the living room, standing up, getting ready to go out, when something large and brown flashed past the windows.


All I saw was that it was big and really trucking, but Alan could tell it was a high-speed rocket-deer. It vanished into the hedgerow. Just as we turned away to go back to putting our socks on, it flew by again, racing in a sweeping circle around the brushy field. It stopped under an old pear tree and lowered its head to eat.
And for a few seconds it ate.


Then back into the grassy part of the field it ran, pronking, ducking and prancing, and digging its face into the grass. Back to the pears. Back to scrubbing its face. Another tour around the field at racing speed, then a repeat of all actions, with some facial pawing by a front hoof added in for local color.


I was completely bumfuzzled by the weird ungulate activities, but Alan and Liz both made sense of the doe's bizarre antics immediately.


Take one deer.
Add some chilly windfall pears.
Factor in some semi-dormant, but still cranky yellow jackets napping and nibbling inside the pears.

Priceless.

12 comments:

colleen said...

Poor deer...but entertaining for sure.

June said...

What a show! I wish I'd seen it! Right up until you got to the "yellow jackets," I was thinking "Autumnal Joy"! :-p

Sandcastle Momma said...

What a show that must have been! I feel bad for the deer but it must be so cool to see that from your living room!

Jinglebob said...

That would have been worth the price of admission! LOL

DayPhoto said...

All for the love of pears!

Linda
http://coloradofarmlife.wordpress.com/

R.Powers said...

Ha! I feel for that deer.

~ Sara ~ said...

That I would have liked to have seen... from the safety of some place... umm safe... :)

lisa said...

That had to be a very comical sight!

Anonymous said...

a free show....and you didn't even have to leave home! yay!

threecollie said...

Collen, what a show!

June, I couldn't figure out what was going on, but what the kids thought made sense

SC Momma, it was really something...and I don't think they bothered her all that much, because she kept going back for more pretty quickly

JB, it was indeed

Linda, and they are nasty bitter pears I wouldn't feed to a politician.

FC, she seemed to find the pears worth the pain..better her than me.

Sara, yes indeed! Luckily we could watch from inside the house. I can't run as fast as she could. lol

LIsa, we were late for milking watching her

Anon, I love the view from those big windows. You never know what you will see.

Rebecca Mecomber said...

Oh my gosh, that's funny! I have no sympathy for deer. I even prefer yellow jackets to those evil non-stop eating machines.

threecollie said...

Mrs. M, it was hilarious! And I don't think the deer was too distressed as it kept going back for another round. lol