(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({ google_ad_client: "ca-pub-1163816206856645", enable_page_level_ads: true }); Northview Diary: Sweet and Sour Maple Venison

Friday, December 18, 2009

Sweet and Sour Maple Venison

Compile in a good heavy pan:

4T cooking oil
2T butter
1 large coarsely chopped onion
1 large clove garlic finely chopped
* Optional: a little lovage if you have it/celery if you don't

Saute until onions begin to turn clear

Add:

A couple of pounds of venison stew meat

Saute until brown

Toss in:

Italian seasoning to taste
*Optional: A little more garlic
* Optional: A tiny pinch of salt

Dump on:

1/4 C vinegar
1/4 C maple syrup
1/4 C Ketchup

When all ingredients are nice and brown and bubbly and the house begins to smell really, really good,

Add:

Two or three cups of water.

Seal the pot tightly with foil or a good, tight-fitting lid, and cook in a 325 degree oven until the meat is fork tender and succulent.

Around here that is for about as long as milking and chores take.
Anywhere normal it would probably be around 2 1/2-3 hours, more or less. Take care that it doesn't cook dry as the "gravy" is the best part.

Serve over rice or potatoes.

****This recipe is a happy accident I came up with the other day while working on 1001 ways to cook venison when your freezer is full of deers and you are out of beef. We really liked it and hope you will too.


7 comments:

Deb said...

sounds deliceous....I'll be over for dinner :) No venison here but I'll bet that would be great with stew beef as well. I'll have to try it.

Hope you all aren't freezing - it's mighty cold here. I'm a big winter fan but not of sub zero temps.

Stay warm!!

lisa said...

Being as we are basically out of beef I think I will try that out, sounds awful good to me!

joated said...

I do believe I will save this recipe and give it a try. It sounds really, really good.

Anonymous said...

Sounds great.....I'll try it...with beef! Looks like we've both resorted to posting recipes ;)

Anonymous said...

i like that part..."dump on"..gee i don't ever recall betty crocker using that term..lol..and i'm going to have to look up the word "lovage" i'm stumped! i'm give it a try but on beef here...no bambi in our freezer!

threecollie said...

Deb, I just threw it together and had to backtrack to put the recipe together to write it down. But it was amazing. I wouldn't even tell them what I put in until they tasted it, but they really liked it. lol.

Lisa, hope it works out well for you. We are out of beef too, so it is creative cooking with deers 101. lol

Joated, hope it turns out well for you. I was amazed how good it ended up tasting as it was kind of a case of throwing in a little of this and a little of that and hoping for the best

LInda, I will be checking yours out in a minute. Don't know how it would taste with beef, but it is worth a try

Anon, dumping on and handsful and all are time-honor technical terms around here....lovage is a big shaggy herb plant...grows higher than my head..that tastes and smells just like celery only more so. We began to use it very gingerly a few years back when mom gave us a plant. Now we dry it, freeze it, or throw it on the counter to wilt and pull off a few leaves now and then, and put it in EVERYTHING....except maybe ice cream. Great stuff.

Cathy said...

I just sent this recipe to my brother and his son. Sounds yummy!