(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({ google_ad_client: "ca-pub-1163816206856645", enable_page_level_ads: true }); Northview Diary: Monster Storm This Weekend

Saturday, January 02, 2010

Monster Storm This Weekend


Or so the weatherman says. We are not supposed to get much here but wind and small accumulations, but our friends and neighbors to the Northeast may really get nailed. (Deb has a new farm website here...it is pretty darned nice.)

Anyhow, those of us who did chores this morning got in extra bedding and got the first feeding done early and the boss sanded the driveway for the milk truck. (Our hill is wonderful in flood times, but we pay the price in winter when the ice comes. I am glad we have a good guy to bring in sand for sure.) The boss leaves a skid steer bucket load by the back steps for me and I dump on some salt and take care of my walkways over here by the house with it. This year some enterprising soul left a bag of feed grade salt on the porch so I am using that.

It has been so cold already this season that the guys have stapled plastic up over windows we never have covered before. It certainly helps with the indoor temperature.

Lately I have been brushing my old cow Beausoleil after milking. She is such a sweet old thing....if she had her way I would just stand in her stall and brush her maybe twenty hours a day. Alas I am only good for a few minutes worth, but she and I are pretty good friends just the same. There isn't a drug on the market better for stress than brushing a nice old cow.
Stay warm!

*****If you get a chance today, go see Linda. She has some REAL cowboy poetry that will make you glad you are warm and cozy.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amazing what a little plastic wrap will do to keep the heat in...stay warm down there and thanks for the shoutout!

Deb said...

I'm glad the storm isn't going to dump a ton on you folks. So far it's not bad, about 7 inches or so. Beautiful to look at and not bad to move as it's fluffy. 38 in the barn this morning - I can deal with that. Those cows sure throw some heat :)

Stay warm and dry and watch that ice -

Thanks for checking out the new website - appreciate your nice comments and the mention in your post :)

lisa said...

Oh, I hate the wind, it has been horrid here all day! Linda sure does know how to write just like you!

~ Sara ~ said...

We are supposed to get 2"... I keep telling myself, at least it's not rain. It's FREE fertilizer... and then I dream of Fiji... :)

threecollie said...

Linda, we mostly got wind, but boy, did we get that!

Deb, hope you didn't get dumped on too bad,. We just got mostly wind, but it was really cold

Lisa, same here. Yesterday was horrible start to finish.

Sara, I believe that you and I think a lot alike...warm climate...no tractors, no frozen water bowls, no ice, no snow...I could take a little of that.