(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({ google_ad_client: "ca-pub-1163816206856645", enable_page_level_ads: true }); Northview Diary: Some Days

Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Some Days




It doesn't pay to try to get anything done. I accomplished a little bit o' bill paying and chores yesterday and that is all. First thing in the morning I checked my Facebook. (Along with several of you and lots of family, Alan's best friend's mom is my friend on there). Her post shared the horrible news that Alan's friend's uncle and his wife, who farm with his dad, lost their whole house in a terrible fire. I feel so bad for them. I hope there will be some kind of community outreach for them that we can add to in some way.

Then the wind and rain hit. I grabbed a pic of this surprising January rainbow, thought it was all over, and wham, the next thing I knew the boss was hollering that tin was coming off the barn roof.
It was, necessitating several trips to Hands for canvas for emergency patches. No sooner had he left when Liz and her BF left too to go get some stuff and feed his horse. They got as far as the side of the house when the big attic window blew out with a crash. That meant that we had to steal the piece of plywood Liz uses to separate the cow stalls at the Altamont Fair and find nails (ours were in her truck, which her dad took to Hands) to put it over the blown out window before the howling gale lifted the house roof.

The phone rang and rang and rang. Normally we never use call waiting even though we have it. Did yesterday though, several times. The boss went over to put the canvas in place and found that the cows had broken the main water line from the milk house and were getting a shower...as was everything in that end of the barn. I had some plumbing parts under the sink, but not enough of course, so it was back to Hands for the third...fourth....I dunno, time. We shoveled out some stalls at chore time, and put in sand and some chaff to try to dry them up a bit. Thankfully, all the water didn't harm any of the wiring for the milkers so we could milk all right.




The craziness went on and on. We heard that a milk truck split in half at a farm not far from here, spilling thousands of gallons of milk on the road. Liz's BF found out that he had lost the second of his friends in two weeks in a car accident...too many funerals for sure. He and Liz just went to one last Saturday.....

Sirens and fire whistles went off all day. The whole valley echoed with them...sometimes the latter for half an hour at a time...it was just one of those days that you are glad when it is over. I sure hope today is calmer for everybody in the region.


14 comments:

lisa said...

Sounds like you had the day from hell, don't it just figure! Its seems like things always happen in threes but I wish it didn't have to be you! Hope today is better!

Dani said...

What a crazy day! I hope today is 100% better.

Moms Musings said...

What a horrible day. Hope that's all the trouble you will have for the year.

Sandcastle Momma said...

Good Lord - that's one incredible day! I hope everything stays calm and quiet for you today.

Unknown said...

Good grief!!! What an awful day. Glad you made it out. Sorry to hear about the loss of a life.

joated said...

If I read your post correctly, it sounds like you not only had a day from hell, but that the work to correct the problems has only just begun.

Here's hoping that the craziness abates soon and things return to normal...what ever that is on a working farm.

DayPhoto said...

My goodness! What a day! Here you are wishing help for others and the world crashes around you.

I do love your photos and the January rainbow, a true January rainbow!

My thoughts are with you!

Linda
http://coloradofarmlife.wordpress.com

Ontario Wanderer said...

I've not visited for a while. Hope your day was not a pattern of any kind. I sure things could get worse, but why?
Hope today is a lot better!!! Take care.

Anonymous said...

The fire was a shocker, for sure. Bill's sister said they lost everything including both vehicles. But they're safe and the cat is safe, so I guess the important things made it through.

I was listening to the sirens yesterday, too, and thinking that with all the rain, they were just pumping out cellars. I had no idea that all this other stuff was going on.

I'm sorry about your window and the barn and everything, but look at the bright side: Hand's won't be going out of business anytime soon. :)

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a real hellish day! Hope this one is much better!

Throwback at Trapper Creek said...

That's a terrible time - hoping that is the end of days like that.

Faithful said...

The man who took his life along with his cows sure hit me hard..I can't help but think about him often. I know a few men here (that aren't in farming) that are probably feeling the same. His total desperation just hits you in the gut!...and the face!


I hope things get better for you and you have some better days.

Ericka said...

oh geez! i'm sorry all that hit. it sounds like a totally craptastic day.

i hope the damage is less than you think, and the stuff needed to repair it is on clearance, and that the tomorrows remain better days.

threecollie said...

Lisa, I gave up on getting anything done at all....

Dani, it was nuts, and thanks

Cathy, thanks, I was hoping things would be better this year...

SCMomma, thanks, me too....

Michelle, thanks, seems as if there are so many accidents lately. I think a lot of it is town budgets are strained and they are not putting much salt and sand down.

Joated, yes, that is a good assessment of the situation...thanks for your kindness

Linda, thank you so much. I know you guys are having a hard winter too...just one of those things I guess

OW, thanks for stopping in and for your kind words!

akagaga, I feel so bad for them, what a terrible loss for them. Thanks so much for your kind words

Linda, thanks, it was ugly. I gave up on trying to start any work and just coped with things one by one

Nita, thanks, it was not a good day at all

Faithful, I can't get him off my mind either. There have been too many farmer suicides lately...most of them don't make the news much...but they are happening. It is sad. Thanks for your kind words

Ericka, thanks, those are really good thoughts indeed.