(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({ google_ad_client: "ca-pub-1163816206856645", enable_page_level_ads: true }); Northview Diary: Milk Fever + Monster Big Calf=

Wednesday, February 03, 2010

Milk Fever + Monster Big Calf=

Almost no sleep for anyone.

Etrain started calving at the end of milking last night. Liz spent several hours in the barn waiting for something to happen....

She and Alan gave E a bottle of calcium sometime between ten and eleven. (I went out but by that time the clock was pretty blurry.)

Calf was upside down first time Liz palpated her. Cow thrashed around for a while and got it mostly straightened up. Ralph and Liz finally got the head and legs just right somewhere along towards midnight. Darned cow wouldn't lie down though, which is less than desirable for all concerned.

I suggested everyone adjourn to the house for a little while and turn off the lights so maybe she would lie down. Liz went out maybe fifteen minutes later and the old girl had managed to get herself in trouble. Liz let her out of her stall and pulled the calf...a monstrous bull that looks about six months old already.

Etrain wouldn't even try to get up and was trying to prolapse. Ralph sewed her up and we administered more calcium, oxytocin and an anti-inflammatory drug.

And we waited. She lay there alternately taking great interest in licking her calf and eating hay and drooping down into a frightening stupor. Still wouldn't even attempt to get up.

Around two-thirty they sent me to bed so I could get up and take care of her this AM while they slept in a little.

I didn't figure she was ever going to get up. She looked pretty forlorn, down on calcium and exhausted from trying to have that beast of a calf (which by the way was up and trotting around the barn begging lunch off anybody who was willing about ten minutes after it was born.)

As soon as I got up this morning I dragged myself into my barn clothes and shuffled on over to the barn for maybe the twentieth time in 24 hours. The boss's flashlight, which I stole again, made the new-fallen snow sparkle like diamonds. I didn't care and thought so out loud. E is one of my very, very favorite cows. If you search this blog you will find many pictures of her and stories about her. She is a real pet, which is not the best way in the world to manage cows if you want to hang on to your heart all in one piece. It is an unwritten law known to anyone who keeps livestock that it is never the bad ones that something happens to.

I didn't know what would be waiting for me, but I sure didn't expect what I found. I have no idea how she got where she is, because I don't want to wake anybody up to ask...however, she is lying on the grates over the stable cleaner, yards and yards away from her stall.
Chewing her cud.
She had to have walked there somehow, as her butt is facing down a narrow aisle where there is no possible way anyone could have put her.

At least she isn't dead. And I really, really hope she can walk by herself. Otherwise milking and cleaning stables is going to be real interesting, as stepping over a thirteen-hundred-pound cow filling the entire walkway to overflowing is going to be a bit of a challenge.

Wish me luck...I am expecting another long day.

*****Update: Thanks for all your kind thoughts. Although E is by no means out of the woods yet, Liz reached down a few minutes ago to see if her back end was warm (cold fresh cows are cows likely to be suffering from milk fever) and she jumped to her feet and moseyed away. She needed another bottle of calcium early this morning, so we may have more episodes, but my dear big girl is back in her stall, eating like crazy and mooing and cooing over her gigantic baby boy... I am delighted. I suppose it is a fool's errand to get so attached to a cow, but I sure hope she makes it.

18 comments:

Moms Musings said...

Congratulations on the calf. Hope ETrain continues her recovery and you can get some sleep.

joated said...

Aaah, the joys of dairy farming. Certainly hope ETrain recoops quickly so as to get her butt out of the way, but after giving birth to a large and lively bull calf as you discribed, she may be due some R & R.

Have a good--but unexciting--day.

~ Sara ~ said...

Prayers will be sent for you, the family and the moo... Days like that are bad enough but in winter I think it's worse.

Deb said...

An exhausting couple of days and nights for you all and poor Etrain. I hope she recovers quickly and is back to her healthy self soon.
Congrats on the healthy calf - why are the biggest ones always bulls?

Best of luck - get some rest when you can :)

Sandcastle Momma said...

Bless her heart. I hope she's up and feeling better today.

Anonymous said...

..."Chewing her cud."...
It's been a long time since I was around cattle on a close up basis, but I can't remember sick animals chewing the cud. I would count that as a good sign.
Regardless of my memories accuracy, a prayer has been tendered, now we await the answer.

DayPhoto said...

The 'joys' of animals and a business that is made up of animals. Here is hoping that she pulls through, will get up and move about and fully recover.

Linda
http://coloradofarmife.wordpress.com

h said...

I found this post very interesting even though I've never lived on a farm-farm.

Paintsmh said...

I'm wondering if they have found a way to administer caffeine through an IV yet...Cause I sure could use it. Swallowing my coffee feels like way too much work sighhh

R.Powers said...

I hope it works out for her.

Anonymous said...

Hope all goes well with her! Get some sleep tonight eh!

Pokagon Member said...

bohzo (hello)

I hope she makes it.

Have a great day and get some sleep.

Anonymous said...

Bless your heart! I hope you get a great night's sleep tonight!

The Wife said...

My fingers are crossed for y'all. I know it's hard to lose one especially one that you hold dear.

lisa said...

Oh,my, I hope everything ends up good. Nothing like the farm life ;) Hope everyone can get a good night sleep.

Teri said...

I can empathize...so sorry you're having a rough time. Keep us posted! My thoughts are with you, Liz, Etrain and all.

Island Rider said...

Hope all is well today and that everyone, mama cow included, got a good night's sleep.

threecollie said...

Cathy, thanks, she was pretty good last night

joated, she is such a favorite and a real good cow. I was so thrilled that she got up. I didn't think she was going to

Sara, thank you, it has been such a winter!

Deb, this guy is a brute too! Thanks, good night's sleep last night and I am grateful

SC Momma, she was good last night...I am hoping for the same today

aka, you are right about that! It is one of the best quick diagnostic tools we have

Linda, thanks, I am hoping too

Troll, they take a lot of care and farmers have to learn to do a lot of veterinary stuff just to get by.

Liz, coffee coffee coffee


FC, thanks, me too

LInda, thanks I did and it felt good

Pokagon, bohzo! And thanks!

Rosemoon, I did and I am grateful, thanks

The Wife, thanks, you are so right and I know you know from personal experience just how it is.

Lisa, thanks, we did

Teri, thank you, I will

IR, thanks for your kind words and thoughts. We did get a good rest and are ready for another day I guess