(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({ google_ad_client: "ca-pub-1163816206856645", enable_page_level_ads: true }); Northview Diary: Winter to the South, Robin to the North

Saturday, February 06, 2010

Winter to the South, Robin to the North

Seems as if a lot of this winter's worst weather has hit folks well to the south of us. This weekend's nasty blizzard is no exception. I feel real bad for the people getting nailed, (but I have no desire to have them send our weather back). I think that the storms are actually targeting AlGore, and a lot of innocent people are getting caught in the crossfire.

On the happy side of things, I was trudging to work the other morning, looking down so as not to land on my fanny on the ubiquitous ice, ice and more ice, when what to my wondering ears did appear but the musical chirp of an out of season robin.

I looked up quickly, despite the ice, and there he was in the old elm above the cow stable, red as a fiery sunset, and launching every now and then into about the first three notes of his summer :cheer-up-cheerily song.

It is not all that unusual to see robins up here in the north even in the depths of the cold. A few winter over across the river from us every year and we can generally drive over to Route 5 to see them tearing up the staghorn sumac if we want to. It was sure nice to see this guy right here at the farm though....

Meanwhile, if you are in the path of the big storm, stay in, stay warm....and keep it there.....

****Update, check out the comments! Our Florida friends say the snowbirds are heading back north...no, not the folks in Bermudas and Hawaiian shirts, the robins and blackbirds. Can't wait until the get here!

10 comments:

Deb said...

LIke you, I feel sorry for the folks getting slammed to our south but am NOT sorry the storm isn't coming north this time. I think Al Gore is a perfect target along with a few more I could readily think of :)
My Mom spotted a robin the other day as well. We have seen them in years past this early in the season. They are always a sign of hope -
Have a good weekend :)

Anonymous said...

Maybe this snow is for Al Gore! What a scam.

R.Powers said...

My yard was alive with hundreds of blackbirds and robins this morning. They are heading back.

Dani said...

Yep, big flocks in my yard too! Such a sight to see.

Faithful said...

I heard that the Robin's song is saying..."Cheer Up..Cheer Up..Cheer Up!" Spring is just around the corner. Lovely that you spotted him.

Meadowsweet said...

I always mark my calendar when I see the years first robin. Last year I spotted my first on March 13 but it's been earlier than that other years. There is usually still a good bit of snow for a few weeks after they arrive and I could never figure out how they survived. I didn't know they ate sumac. Thanks for the info.

Ericka said...

the robins arrived here (in coastal north carolina) early last week. i was very happy to see them, even though our winter has been nothing compared to what you're going through.

threecollie said...

Deb, we didn't get anything at all from it and I am grateful...feeling sorry for cousins in Mid Atlantic states though

Anon, alas, he certainly didn't have to shovel any himself...

FC, we are waiting....

Dani, I am green with envy. No migrants showing here yet )I am sure this guy was a winter over bird)

Faithful, it made my day!!

Meadowsweet, I keep track too...the past few years ours have been later than normal, but this guy tipped that scale. Robins will eat fruit and seeds in winter when they can't get worms and insects. They love sumac

Ericka, I am so glad to hear that they are heading north, even though it is still mid winter here.

DayPhoto said...

I saw a bluebird the other day. In the middle of a snow storm. I was so happy I wanted to jump up and down, but I was driving.

Spring is coming!

Linda
http://coloradofarmlife.wordpress.com/

threecollie said...

LInda, I would have wanted to jump up and down too! Alan and I did hit the other side of the river yesterday and were rewarded with a good dozen winter-over robins. What a delight to see their characteristic silhouette when they fly by