(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({ google_ad_client: "ca-pub-1163816206856645", enable_page_level_ads: true }); Northview Diary: Farm Bureau Lobby Days

Tuesday, March 02, 2010

Farm Bureau Lobby Days

Liz's Roylane Jordan Daughter, Gypsy


In Albany today. A chance to sit down with legislators or their staffs and discuss farm issues. I went for the first time well after I turned thirty. Liz is only 23, but she is there today, and this is not her first trip.

So, what do you think? Are we doing our kids a favor raising them to understand the affect of regulation on our lives, to comprehend the issues and to take action by showing up and speaking out, lobbying, attending meetings, joining organizations?

Or would it be a far, far kinder thing to let them stay fat, dumb and happy and let someone else do it?

I don't know. Sometimes it is a misery to be involved in the political side of farming. Downright painful and overwhelming and leaving behind of a feeling of total helplessness.

Sometimes there is great satisfaction. Yesterday a nationally-known figure, whom I won't name, because it is just better not to, used something I sent him in a certain campaign. (This would only be recognizable to me and three or four other people....) He didn't acknowledge me and it was better that he didn't. However, I plumb chortled when I saw it. Yeah! Sometimes you can make a difference, even just a tiny little bitty one.

So is it right to raise your kids to kick upstream like questing trout, despite the pain it might cause them, or to let them drift unknowing in the warm, soft waters of ignorance and uncaring? What do you think?

*****I know we will be missing Liz. With Alan in college just Becky, the boss and I will have all the chores. To me it is worth it though...

16 comments:

anne smith said...

awesome!! wish i had more time to go to such things!!! tell her to take notes so she can share it with us!!!

Moms Musings said...

It's great to be so involved and to see that you really can be heard. What a wonderful opportunity.

joated said...

If you want family farming to continue, Liz is doing the right thing and you and the Boss have raised her right! (Or was that a rhetorical question?)

Jeffro said...

I must confess to feeling guilty that I'm not involved in some way myself. My Dad wasn't much into the political scene, but he did serve on the soil conservation board and the local electric coop's board. He raised me better than I've achieved in that arena.

It is a duty of a good citizen to be involved in some way, after all. Yes, there is frustration and pain involved, but that comes with the territory. It sure seems to me there is not much reward for the efforts expended, so if one is looking for affirmation, that sort of involvement is not the way to go.

Yes, you and the Boss have done the right thing, and what y'all do is admirable.

Dani said...

I think it's a great thing to involve them!! Go Liz!!

I keep track of all the stem cell research, debates and lend my voice to anything else that might help other people with Muscular Dystrophy. I find that even though it feels like it doesn't matter, it makes me feel better to at least try.

DayPhoto said...

Yes it is right! It is those who fight for our rights that make our lives better.

You have done well!!!

Linda
http://coloradofarmlife.wordpress.com

Kristen Montgomery Breh said...

Though the journey and the consequences may be painful, we absolutely MUST teach our children the unfortunate and unfair realities around us. We MUST teach them how to effectively and articulately fight for those things they feel matter. If we don't, we risk letting others around us decide what kind of world we live in, what kind of lives we lead.

Teri said...

I think you're an amazing mom, and I envy you your strength. Liz is one of the lovliest people (in such a myriad of ways) I've ever met....so you're doing all the right things.

threecollie said...

Anne, I like to go, but the guys jog through the state buildings too fast for me. lol

CathyM, I am glad she goes...

Joated, it really wasn't a rhetorical question. I often wonder about this question

Jeffro, thanks, it really is something I debate with myself..is it fair...or is it not? thanks for your good words on the matter

Dani, thanks, I admire you very much for all that you do so cheerfully and well. Take care...

LInda, thanks, it does me good to know that my netfriends think so

Kristen, thanks, I am grateful for your good thinking on this

Teri, thanks, she is very fond of you as well and loved coming down to meet the llamas.

Earl said...

Always show your children those things worth your time and effort - all of them, they need to ask why and you must show them the answer. Then your love is transferred, even if they don't take up your torch or banner - they understand why you are carrying it.

Jan said...

My grown children are far more involved than I have ever been and yet they give me the credit and thank me for the encouragement. You're a super mom.

Anonymous said...

If we in the industry don't speak up it will be the voice of groups like HSUS, PETA, and the many "environmental" groups that the public(our customers) hear. As frustrating and depressing as it gets it's important that our young farmers and ranchers take part in these attempts to inform our legislators. Keep up the good work!

threecollie said...

Earl, you say things so well..thank you for it..

Jan, thanks, clearly you are as well!

anon, thanks for that. Most of the time we are glad to be involved and to be passing that torch to the kids...

Faithful said...

Be proud that your children have the strength and want.. to fight the fight..even if it's not your war. Complacency breeds future dissatiaction.

Faithful said...

Sorry.. I meant dis-satisfaction!!

Ericka said...

"only dead fish go with the current."

i got that off a tin of candy, but it's true. i think it's probably vital to everything you've taught her to believe in for her to be involved. and, probably vital for the rest of us over here, floating aimlessly and cluelessly, that someone who knows what's going in is paying attention.