(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({ google_ad_client: "ca-pub-1163816206856645", enable_page_level_ads: true }); Northview Diary: Springishnenss

Friday, March 05, 2010

Springishnenss


Banks of ice pile up along fast-flowing freshets of frigid melt water. Early on they took the form of fancy fans, frozen flat above silently gushing streams, but with the sun comes strength. The water undermines and smashes them, then piles them up for later melting. By mid-afternoon all evidence of their existence will be gone, only to form flat fans again as night comes down.

This is a season for getting up early. In the almost-morning, before the sun began its carving and cutting of lingering snow, the moon tangled itself in the branches of a straggling spruce, pulled free then sailed off toward the silvery horizon.

As early as then the chickadees and cardinal were calling, and not long later the white-breasted nuthatch tuned up with a sound as jungle-like as Tarzan. It is teetering on the edge of migrant time;Alan saw a robin and a bluebird yesterday on Corbin Hill Road, and geese are gathering in dozens, hundreds, soon-to-be thousands. They stop in all the un-gathered corn fields to glean and gobble before heading on for the tundra...or for the banks of the Mohawk, depending. I can't wait until the river thaws enough for them to sleep in the cove across from the house at night. They giggle and whisper all night like a lullaby in wild-part time and my sleep is smoothed by dreams of flying.


And it is good to see the sun.




14 comments:

Unknown said...

Sunnn! It is so nice to see.

Kristen Montgomery Breh said...

What a relief that spring is just about here. I was so amazed several days ago to hear the birds chirping. This 40 degree weather that is melting everything is washing away that winter cobweb that I always feel from November until now. What a breath of fresh air is springtime.

Anonymous said...

The sun's been shining here and it actually has some heat to it. It's melting and feeling a lot more springlike........C'mon Spring!!

joated said...

Oh my! Yes it is certainly good to see the sun shine 'most all the day! To see the snow compact and shrink beneath old Sol's onslaught gives wings to my heart.

(Feeling very poetic and alliterative today, weren't you?)

Deb said...

A lovely post ~ the sun is finally shining and it has warmth to it as well. Snow is slowly melting and it makes us all eager for spring.

Ducks and guineas have begun their mating dance - so funny to watch :)

threecollie said...

Michelle, isn't it wonderful? I know winter isn't over yet, but these days are sweet

Kristen, I love hearing the birds now. Not many migrants coming through yet, but we enjoy what we have

Linda, I was so interested in reading about your water and the way you channel it so you can save it...here we put in drainage to hurry it away!

Joated, winter has been long. I know it isn't over but I enjoy days like this one...and I LOVE alliteration...I find it a lot of fun. lol

Deb, it is good to have days like this...our guineas are still inside so I don't get to see what they are up to much.

lisa said...

I love that word, springishness!

threecollie said...

LIsa, thanks, it isn't spring, but it seems as if it ought to be!

Ericka said...

yay spring!

beautifully written. i like it when you're feeling poetic. :-)

Cathy said...

This is poetry, my friend.

Every line was wonderful.

This one really knocked my socks off.

"the moon tangled itself in the branches of a straggling spruce, pulled free then sailed off toward the silvery horizon."

Anonymous said...

Three collies:

Your spring blog is absolutely beautiful. The power of the sun, the movements of the moon, the boisterous conversation of the geese in the corn field - all beautifully written.
I have had 3 books published and would like to think of myself as a "writer" but I am humbled by your beautiful prose.
KD

Cathy said...

Shhhhh . . . :-)

Anonymous is my hubby. Yes, he writes when he's not doing breast biopsies etc.

It cracks me up. He's one of three local docs that walk around with the inscription on their oxford shirts reading: Breast Care Center.

I mean . . this isn't the hush hush world I grew up in. And I guess that's a good thing :0)

threecollie said...

Ericka, thank you...I get teased about it, but some days when I am working or just walking outside the words just come and I can't wait to get inside and write them down.

Cathy, You are so sweet to say such kind things to me. This comment and the ones below simply made my day today (March 16). Sorry I have kind of fallen behind on my comments..any how, thank you so very, very much!

Anon, KD, thank you. Coming from a published writer those are very special and kind words indeed...and also thank you for what you do. My mom finished chemo for breast cancer last Thanksgiving. I treasure every day with her that has been saved and kept for us by her doctors.

Cathy, thank you again. You are clearly very special people, and as I said to him, I appreciate what doctors like him do for very personal reasons.

Cathy said...

Oh, honey.

I do understand what you mean by treasuring every day.

My mom is 88. I know we won't have her a great deal longer.

Every conversation is precious.

Oh! I just heard geese winging overhead outside my suburban home! Spring!

P.S.
Please don't feel it necessary to respond to my meanderings around your blog. You've got plenty to keep you busy.

I'm just watching over your shoulder :-)