(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({ google_ad_client: "ca-pub-1163816206856645", enable_page_level_ads: true }); Northview Diary: Greek Yogurt

Monday, April 12, 2010

Greek Yogurt


It was just one of those things I was afraid to try, because I figured it might be nasty. Then we were given some of this brand by a family friend.

Even then I hesitated until Alan did the "He Likes it. Hey Mikey," thing, did like it a lot and said so...and ate two dishes in a row to prove it.

So I tried it too. And I am here to tell you, one bowlful and you will never again be satisfied by the thin, tasteless, watery, stuff they sell under the brand of a certain French dairy foods company, which I will not name, but it rhymes with cannon. My favorite Fage yogurt is the kind with thick, dark, smokey honey on the side. I love honey anyhow, but the combination of smooth, tart dairy with strong, sweet honey is just about unbeatable. It has become one of my favorite lunches.

****And no, they didn't pay me for this....they never even heard of me. I just didn't want you to miss this great stuff, which is produced just a few miles from here, up by my folks' house. Eating well while eating local just works for me.

7 comments:

Cathy said...

OK. I'll be grabbing this off the shelf.

Ummm ummm ummm umm umm.

lisa said...

I haven't tried that brand, but I did try greek yogurt and it is a lot better than regular yogurt that is for sure.

Dani said...

If you say it's good, then I'll give it a try. :)

~ Sara ~ said...

Y'all need to be making your own! :) I don't like yogurt at all, BUT will eat it if it we make it with a Y5 culture from New England Cheese Making.
It's a sweet yogurt (that's what they say... it's still tangy), and if you mix it with the pie or pastry filling from the Mennonites it's awesome.

Almost tastes like cheese cake over a graham cracker.

And don't forget making your own salad dressings... :)

OK enough... I'll stop... but ya really should try making some... :) a half gallon jar, an igloo cooler, milk and culture... ta DAA

Linda said...

Maybe that's why I've hated yogurt all these years ;)

June said...

I love Greek yogurt. It reminds me of the olden days when I could still buy full-fat Dannon yogurt.

threecollie said...

Cathy, great stuff. I was so surprised to even like it

Lisa, I am so glad Alan was brave enough to try it. lol

Dani, It makes such a nice lunch. I can't function on a cup of regular yogurt...I am hungry about two minutes later

Sara, I have made some with goats milk back in the day...not as thick as this, but not bad
I would love to see some of your salad dressing recipes. that is something I would really like to make.

Linda if you don't like yogurt, you might not like it, because it is definitely just that. It is just so much thicker, smoother and less acid....

June, exactly. Modern yogurt is like milky, flavored water...not very satisfying.