(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({ google_ad_client: "ca-pub-1163816206856645", enable_page_level_ads: true }); Northview Diary: Digging Herkimer Diamonds

Monday, May 03, 2010

Digging Herkimer Diamonds

A collage of baby brother and his handsome son mining for diamonds. Click for detail.


A vug, an opening in the limestone that they were mining, stuffed with lovely crystals on matrix.


My brother, his lovely wife and their family treated me to a mining expedition yesterday at Crystal Grove Campsite.


My usual method of digging for Herkimers is to take a garden trowel or even a spoon and scratch around in the tailings. However, they bring a pickup truck full of tools and indulge in hard rock mining. (Trust me their way is better albeit a lot harder too.) Although pickings were a little slim yesterday, they found some incredible clear crystals (not pictured, but I'll bet Lisa will have pics later) that seemed to roll right out of the ground as bright as shining ice cubes. It is a real ooh ah moment when a nice vug opens up and spills its treasure I'll tell you.



Matt dug for hours, processed probably about a dump truck load of rock, which started out as blocks about the size of an old-fashioned TV and ended up smaller than a bread box...some much smaller. I'll bet he is hurting today, but he found some nice stuff. And thanks guys for sharing such a great day with me.


We didn't find these, but the people who did kindly let me photograph them when they brought them over to show off. They are the size of a fist, but don't have the usual amazing clarity of gems from this site, as they are much cracked by winter frosts.

11 comments:

Deb said...

threecollie,
What a great day - sounds like fun other than the sore muscles the day after :)
Great photos - I really think I'd like to try that. It must be a great feeling when you find one.

Thanks for sharing your expedition!

lisa said...

You took some great pictures, we are thinking of going again today. Will post later today. Have a great day and we loved having you yesterday!

R.Powers said...

That sounds like a great day! I know I love MY H.Diamonds.

:)

Throwback at Trapper Creek said...

That looks like fun! I like the hat too!

CTG Ponies said...

That is such a cool expedition to take!

Ed said...

Very cool, it brings back memories of digging for geodes when I was a kid..:-)

Linda said...

It looks like something I'd enjoy too! Good exercise by the sounds of it.

Sandcastle Momma said...

That looks like SO much fun! I had no idea you could find crystals that big. Beautiful.

threecollie said...

Deb, I love treasure hunting...just love it. Hope you do get to try it some day!

Lisa, thanks again for taking me!

FC, it was a great time...glad you still enjoy your Herks

Nita, oh, yes, the hat...part of the great red vs green controversy. lol

cTG, it was great fun

Ed, wow, where did you dig for them?

Linda, I hope Lisa posts pics of the pile of rock Matt and Kegan split up. I had put my camera away so I didn't get any, but it was amazing!!!


SCMomma, they were something indeed.

Ericka said...

ooh, cool!

memorial day is the fossil festival, and i'll be scratching around in the dirt looking for more sharks teeth.

AND i have nearly talked a friend into going with me to one of the public mines here in nc. we're trying to decide on the emerald mine, gem mountain or the saphire and ruby mine. i can't wait!

threecollie said...

Ericka, wow, the fossil festival sounds wonderful and I am green with envy about the idea of going to one of the emerald mines...we see them on TV up here but that is as close as I will probably ever get.