(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({ google_ad_client: "ca-pub-1163816206856645", enable_page_level_ads: true }); Northview Diary: Cashin's Opened Yesterday

Tuesday, June 08, 2010

Cashin's Opened Yesterday




Guess what Alan and I did. What a difference a year makes. With the nasty late frost last year and the relentless rains, they only picked five days at our favorite self pick farm. We never got any berries for jam. I bought a few organic berries across the river, simply because they were all that I could find, but they were absurdly expensive and sour...probably because of the weather.

Thus when the kids said the sign was out just down the road on 5S we went right out and picked ten quarts. I made two batches of jam and froze most of the rest. (Some simply must be eaten....on ice cream...not on ice cream...right out of the berry box...on the way home....)

I would have made a lot more jam, but there seems to be a Sure-Jell shortage. I had a couple of boxes left from last year but not enough to process ten quarts of berries....Alan found me some fruit pectin by Ball up at Price Chopper, but alas it is the no sugar kind. I have no interest in using it as you have to add other fruit juice. If I am going to make jams and jellies I am not going to buy commercial grape juice so I can do it. We are going to have to do a concentrated Sure-Jell hunt and soon, as the berry season is short and the jelly cravings are long. If you see any when you are out shopping I would be wildly grateful if you dropped me a note in the comments. Have a great day!
***Update, Becky found a goodly supply in Cobleskill. Thank you all for suggestions



13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the tip on the surejell shortage. I usually use Certo, guess I better stock up if I find any! Gonna call my local berry place this morning, maybe there berries are ready too!

~ Sara ~ said...

We normally get pectin in bulk at the Amish/Mennonite stores here abouts... 2.50 for at least 10 batches of jam.

If you get anymore you really need to try some Strawberry Lemonade Concentrate!!! OHHH so yummy!

lisa said...

Mmmm looks good. Should of given me a call, I would of joined you :)

Dani said...

I'll take a look in Publix when I'm there today.

CTG Ponies said...

I'll keep my eye out for Sure Jell for you.

threecollie said...

mml, I suspect that the stores just aren't stocking it yet. It is early for canning season, but I was very frustrated yesterday. If fruit is available I like to try to get enough put up for all winter...good luck!

Sara, I am really interested to learn that. Although I don't think we have any stores yet, we are getting a very large community of them here and maybe they will have them soon. I am spending more than that for ONE batch!! What do you do with the concentrate?

Lisa, sorry about that. It was completely spur of the moment. L&J drove by, saw the sign, told me and we went right up. After missing last year I wasn't going to let it get by again. I want to do a lot more though if we can find the fruit pectin. I don't like Ball...even the sugar kind. I tried it last year and the set of the jam was lousy.

Dani, sounds good. Thanks,,They may have it as your season starts so much earlier. The kids are going to do some shopping today and see what they can find.

CTG, thanks

~ Sara ~ said...

Recipe for Strawberry Lemonade Concentrate.

6 c. hulled strawberries
4 c. Lemon juice
6 c. sugar

Puree the strawberries, mix together with lemon juice and sugar. Bring to 190 degrees DO NOT boil. place in pint jars with lids and rims. The water bath them.

Mix with equal parts tonic water, club soda or ginger ale. OR 2 parts 7 Up and one part mix.

Yields 7 pints (yeah right... mine only yielded 5.)

~ Sara ~ said...

OH forgot!!! skim off foam!!! very important!!!

R.Powers said...

Amazon has it.
Let it come to you.
We both had berries on the brain today.

Linda said...

I need to find some to jam this year too! Scooter sure is a cute little guy.

Tina Marie the Willow Witch said...

strawberries are even too early for the strawberry festival. They will be gone before the festival begins!

Ericka said...

anything i can't find in a store, i hunt down online. just google it. :-)

threecollie said...

Sara, thank you!! I am eager to try this. It really sounds wonderful.

FC, thanks, Becky found some this year, but it is often very hard to find. Next time we have trouble I will try Amazon...and I loved your blueberry patch video. I am going to find me a plastic snake to try and save a few black raspberries for our eating vs the birds' enjoyment.

Linda, we are lucky enough to have one of the nicest U-picks in the valley right down the road from us. I wish they had a website!

Ericka, I am so glad that you folks gave me the idea to try that. Some years we are so hard pressed to find Sure Jell when we need it.