(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({ google_ad_client: "ca-pub-1163816206856645", enable_page_level_ads: true }); Northview Diary: Dogs Gone

Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Dogs Gone


A fat blue folder of dogs long gone
Doggone them for leaving
Their place by my feet
For not being puppies
And herders
And guarders
For leaving me waiting behind here at home
While they move on to wide fields
where cows always come running
whenever they roam.

Reading through pedigrees,
Floss, Wisp, Nell and Craig
Davy, Bobby, Sadie, Robbie,
Whitelow Jan,
Dryden Joe,

Grand dogs of the past from Scotland and Wales
All gone now too,

Though their names ring behind them
From the hills and the sheep and the big sheep dog trials


Years ago all combined to make Mike, Nick and Gael
The three collies who worked here
for fifteen long years
Making chores easy and crazy and fun
Tracking in mud and shedding black hair
And lying there sleeping right next to my chair

Mike is long gone now and Nick's getting old.

Gael lies in the kitchen
in front of the gate
Too blind to be watching
Too deaf now to hear
But you still can't get by her
She'll find you no fear.

I was looking yesterday for a picture of a border collie to help me in painting the latest wooden animal project to come my way. In the course of the hunt I dug out my old training books, finding pictures of the likes of Wiston Cap (read the bit in this story about whistle training. I have seen it myself...a dog that knows nothing about whistles working to them anyhow) and so many other great ones. It has been a while since we had a dog here that worked, but when we did they were an incredible help. I really miss just sending a dog to move cows where we want them. Now it's do it yourself if you want it done, and cows don't respect middle-aged-going-on-elderly, ladies near as much as they do fast, young dogs with sharp, white teeth.

Nick at 11 is still eager and biddable, but I could never really use him on the milk cows. He likes to bite above the hock...right where the udder is...and so is not trustworthy. Gael is fifteen and past it all, except for toddling along behind me on the way to the garden.

Mike was a good one. Born knowing more about herding than I'll ever learn.
I didn't deserve him, but I am so glad I had him. As I looked at his registration papers I realized it was no wonder that he was such a terrific dog. Wisp was his grand sire...two time International champion...and I had the honor of working with him, training him, being trained by him. Damn I was lucky.
It was bittersweet to page through the books and registrations, old licenses and vet's receipts.
I was so privileged to have had such a dog...such dogs in fact...but I miss working with them. Their lives are too short.

We have four dogs now, all elderly, what with Nick and Gael, Wally the blue heeler guardian of the barn, and Sadie, the boss's late mother's old mutt, but I am getting the itch to get a puppy. You can't ever replace an old dog and no pup can fill their footprints....but a puppy grows....and learns...and leads you new places where you haven't been before. I'd like to find a puppy.

A working puppy, with the blood of the great ones running through him....
Training stock dogs was the most challenging thing (next to parenting) that I ever did (or more like tried to do). I had to learn several new languages from come bye and away to me to reading cows and sheep in a whole new way.
From
training the dog to listen to me and convincing him to work with me to thinking where he needed to be and where I needed to be to make the cows go where we both wanted them without getting anybody run over. From knowing two lefts from two rights...his and mine (and if you want to get complicated, the cows' lefts too) to balance and pressure and outruns and drives.
It is a game I want to play again and I do believe that I am going to need a new dog to play it with.
It is getting hard to wait for him.

13 comments:

Dani said...

I think a puppy is a wonderful idea!!

NumberWise said...

What a lovely post!

I think that your puppy must be out there somewhere. At some point and by some means, the barriers will fall away and you will find him.

Earl said...

Like marriage, a good dog is worth the wait.

Jinglebob said...

Great post, but dammit, now you've got me wanting one again!

Anonymous said...

I hope you find one soon!

Anonymous said...

We have an Aussie pup & I don't know if I'll ever get him trained.
Had a great one yrs. ago who was so good. Ruins you for any other dog. Any good books you recommend?

Anonymous said...

Laughing and crying here...

Jan
(Google account has turned on me)

CTG Ponies said...

I just love puppies. It's so hard to see a good animal go. I like what you said, especially since we lost Jet this past week - "...and leads you new places where you haven't been before."

DayPhoto said...

You made me cry. There are so many we've had and then they die. Someday I would like another puppy, but not while Fuzzy is here. He would be way too hurt. And I want to be retired to enjoy my new little charge.

Linda
http://coloradofarmlife.wordpress.com/

Mappy said...

LOVE this and you
Thanks
Mappy

threecollie said...

Dani, I have been thinking about it for a couple of years, but it is getting more intense each day now. Something about summer I guess

NW, thank you dear friend! I know I will never have another Mike but...

Earl, you have that right. And the good ones turn up in the least expected ways and places

JB, sorry about that and thank you

RM, thanks, reading about yours has made me wistful. They sound so wonderful

Anon, Bruce Fogt's Lessons from a Stockdog (a really good one) Virgil Holland's Herding Dogs, H. Glynn Jones A Way of Life, and one of my very favorites, Training and Working Dogs for Quiet Confident Control of Stock, by Scott Lithgow. The last one is a great read...they all have a lot to offer. (And I just discovered that my copy of Lithgow's book is missing. I am thinking I loaned it and it didn't come home, but maybe it is hidden among the thousands of books piled here and there.) Good luck with your dog. I know you will have a lot of fun.

Jan, thanks I have been having trouble with my Google account this week too...having to sign in to everything everywhere. Hope they get it straightened out.

CTG, thank you. I am so sorry for your loss. It is so hard....

Linda, you are so right about that. I can chronicle my life in dogs...the off-the-wall hound dogs when we were kids. They wrecked the house and drove my folks crazy. The Cracker Dogs of college times, trained to wear clothes and climb ladders to walk around on the roof (dang they were fun...why didn't I take more pictures? Nobody except the folks who were there believes me about what we taught them to do) and for the last decade and a half the herding dogs. How do people live without them?

Mappy, I love you too kiddo!

Cathy said...

I've been so busy packing that I'd not dropped by for a few days and here I am now welling up with tears and missing my dogs and thinking you write so beautifully.

I love your notion about getting a puppy.

Beautiful/

threecollie said...

Cathy, thank you so much for your kind words. We are trying to track down the man we purchased the original pair, Mike and Gael, from. He moved to California, but we think he still breeds working dogs and I couldn't have been happier with the dogs we got from him. I am hoping...