(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({ google_ad_client: "ca-pub-1163816206856645", enable_page_level_ads: true }); Northview Diary: Mockingbird Magic

Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Mockingbird Magic

We had some high drama here last night, involving someone outside the family who said some things that caused much emotional uproar. Those words had nothing to do with the farm or the family directly so I won't detail them here.

However, there were tears and pain, not mine, but when it is your family sometimes they feel like they are yours, and no one slept very well.

At three AM I woke up, wide awake, trying to remember if I had turned the compressor that cools the milk on or not. The tanker picked up yesterday and it is always shut off while the washer cleans the milk tank. It is arguably my job to turn it back on every other day when we start to fill it up with fresh milk. Normally I make a point to think about what I am doing when I do it so that when I wake up at 3 AM I can say, yeah I turned it on and go back to sleep.

Yesterday I forgot to do that.

So, I got up, threw my barn boots on with my bathrobe and hiked to the barn. The moon turned the yards into a ragged chiaroscuro of light and dark, so bright it seemed as if you could see a faint tinge of green among the greys and blacks. There was the least hint of skunk on the air and it was almost as crisp and cold as fall, truly a beautiful night.

As I tugged the cold rubber of the boots on over my cold bare feet a faint sound came from the field. At first I thought it was a cricket. With the Thruway devoid of travelers there was silence except for that vague call. It came again, not a cricket...just ....something.....

Then suddenly the air filled with opulent sound as the pasture mockingbird (not to be confused with the house mockingbird) burst into gay and glorious song. His notes were round and full and fluent, the calls of all the other birds combined together, each more melodious than the one before.

I just stood there, soaking it all up, the breeze, the light, the magical song, even the distant skunk. There are people who have more fame and fortune than my most bedazzling moments could conjure, but I wonder how many of them get free midsummer serenades in a theater as beautiful as a late June night in the country. If I was counting blessings I would surely have run out of fingers and toes before I even got started. The hike to the barn, usually an onerous misery at night, was a treat indeed, not a mosquito to be had and that glimmering song trailing behind me like a train of stars.

The tank was on. River, who had twin bulls yesterday and was left in the barnyard to recover, was fine. When I went back to bed, the singer was still pouring out a sweet stream of secret music with no one to listen but him and me...and maybe mephitis mephites.


11 comments:

CTG Ponies said...

Sounds like you found some peace in a chaotic day. Some of my favorite times are just being out in the fields on the dark listening. The day after we lost Jet we had a horse show that was hard to get through. When we came home at about 10 PM there was a mist over the pond and about a million fireflies in the pasture. It was so peaceful after everything that had happened.

lisa said...

I think the night sounds are just the best, rather its birds, frogs, crickets or coyote's howlin!

Jinglebob said...

Wonderful post! You write so well!

Lisa, wait until you hear a Mountain Lion scream. Not quite as nice, tho' thrilling!

threecollie said...

CTG, I am a critter of the daylight, rarely like being out at night, but it was so incredibly beautiful I would have stayed right out there if I could have. I am so sorry about Jet...you must be devastated by losing such an important part of your life so abruptly.

Lisa, I love them too and even more so being awakened by something wonderful singing outside the bedroom window. It is great to have a nice big tree out there for them to use as a stage

JB, thanks! I have never heard a mountain lion. However, heard a bobcat once while camping in the Dacks and that is blood curdling enough for me. lol

Jacqueline Donnelly said...

Such moments are simply gifts from the gods. Thanks for retelling it so vividly you brought me right there with you. I hope it was an omen that all will be well with your family.

Kristen Montgomery Breh said...

What a blessing to have the song work as a salve when you needed it. What a wonderful world we live in, despite the harm and hurt that sometimes come our way.

threecollie said...

Woodswalker, they exactly are. This summer has held many such moments and I am endlessly thankful

Kristen, it was a spectacular space in time, like a show put on just for me. I was too tired to set up the tripod and try for a night picture, but I will store it in my mind.

Shirley said...

Ahhh, such a magical moment and a beautiful description.

threecollie said...

Thank you so much Shirley!

Cathy said...

Gorgeous. Wonderful. My God you write beautifully. Of course it doesn't hurt to have a beautiful life as your inspiration.

What a great finish. Had to look up mephitis mephites

It's true that the 'distant' scent of skunk is a familiar, not-unpleasant companion to summer evenings.

threecollie said...

Cathy, thank you. The inspiration is everything. All I have to do is look around me and think up words that fit.