(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({ google_ad_client: "ca-pub-1163816206856645", enable_page_level_ads: true }); Northview Diary: Blessing

Sunday, July 18, 2010

Blessing

Standing on the sitting porch in the mid day sun. Suddenly, a breeze on my arm, an eager buzz and I am being investigated.

Closely, bzzz, bzzz, bzzz, tiny jet bead eyes staring into my eyes as if wondering what I am. Pausing finally for a quick nip of sugar juice, back feathers glowing fire coal green, then back to buzz bombing me again.

Soon there are three of them, whirring around my head like airplanes on a baby's mobile. Sometimes it is a very fine thing to be the center of attention.

I think the hummingbirds have children.

Curious, glorious, bright green children.

I like them

8 comments:

R.Powers said...

Lucky You!
What a neat encounter.

Jinglebob said...

Wonderful post!

Jeffro said...

No hummingbirds here. :-(

Sis in OKC has a feeder out, though, and it's a highlight during the summer just for me to actually see a couple of the little devils.

They certainly trust you!

Ericka said...

very neat!

DayPhoto said...

I agree with Floridacracker THAT IS NEAT!!!

Linda
http://coloradofarmlife.wordpress.com

threecollie said...

FC, it was so cool, especially since it was totally unexpected. I was lukcy

JB, thank you!

Jeffro, alas, that is a shame. They are so feisty and funny. They do become very accustomed to people and buzz right up to your head. Even at camp they check us out thoroughly in case we might be sweet and tasty.

Ericka, thanks!

Linda, it was indeed. I have to get my feeder refilled as they emptied it while we were away. Thanks

Cathy said...

Curious, glorious, bright green children.

I could cry. That's beautiful.

And that does it.

Next year - by God - I'm putting up a hummingbird feeder.

threecollie said...

Cathy, thank you...you will not be sorry that you did. They are as bold as pit bulls for all their tiny size and fight like them too, yet their curiosity is such a delight.