(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({ google_ad_client: "ca-pub-1163816206856645", enable_page_level_ads: true }); Northview Diary: Hotter Day

Friday, July 09, 2010

Hotter Day


First sound- the baby robins chinking for food a-sound like someone chipping away at a musical stone. The proximity of their nest to our activities...right outside the front door, under the edge of the porch, gives us a chance to see what robin folk do at night.

Stand guard is what they do. Literally standing on the side of the nest, bill thrust upward in defiant defense of their small brood. They are suffering so from the heat, adults and chicks panting all day long, or the babies just hanging their heads over the side of the nest, drooping sadly. I feel about the same way.

First sight- the phoebe that has undertaken a late nesting somewhere in the yard. It either awaits on the wire just outside the landing window and looks me right in the eye or guddles around in the driveway jerking its tail as phoebes do.

First outrage- The %^&&** deer mowed the tops off my entire crop of green beans.
And tore down the foil pans I hung to deter them.
I was hoping they wouldn't find them.

Moved Sadie dog from the barn to her lounging dog house under the tree nearby. (She normally does night duty in the barn due to barking issues.) Don't know if that will keep them at bay, but it is worth a shot. A lot of hard work in that garden.....most of it mine. I was looking forward to some good meals out of it.

First scare-Becky kept asking me if the scrap man had bull dozed my rhubarb...grandpa's rhubarb really...I am just the guardian of the line. I kept wondering what the heck she was talking about. See she does the chores in the heifer barn and I don't. I couldn't see that he had inadvertently, while doing some work for the boss, cleared out all of my old garden fence and driven the bulldozer right through it. I gave up on that garden because me and my hoe couldn't outfight the nettles. However, my pink lilac and my big rhubarb bed are still there, surrounded by a wall of reed canary grass, but still much loved. When I walked down I was sure that my heirloom plants were gone, but he missed both bush and bed by about two feet. I am grateful. Guess I had better start moving them up closer to the house.

So in a world where there are murders right on the street, in the town where I was born, arson fires, heat waves from Hell and a flood warning, not watch, out in the other end of the county, I will go to work, aggravated by the deer and grateful for the grace that saved the rhubarb that I hold in Grandpa Lachmayer's honor.




8 comments:

Teri C. said...

The small things (to others, but oh, so important to us) keep us sane.

R.Powers said...

Those deer know just when to strike. Glad the barb survived!

Anonymous said...

Just keep that attitude and you will make it...Linda

DayPhoto said...

Deer! Beautiful PESTS! I'm sorry for your green beans, I really am. Terry and I fight always. They love the corn fields and move in, living in the field until we harvest. While there they eat the silk off as many corn cobs as they possibly can thereby stopping the growth of the corn.

(And here you can't kill them until hunting season, and then ONLY if a special permit is purchased.) We've tried boom guns and dogs and then gave up.

I hope your heat breaks soon, too much of any weather is just that TOO MUCH!

Linda
http://coloradofarmlife.wordpress.com

CTG Ponies said...

Hang in there. The small things keep you grounded.

threecollie said...

Teri, exactly

FC, Danged things! I put the pie pans back up. I couldn't believe it. They tore one off the string and hauled it way down the garden

Linda, lol, not much choice I guess

Linda, same here on the rules and regs. They are pretty and I can't help but like watching them, but they drop their darned ticks all over (Lyme Disease is rampant here, spread by deer ticks) and eat everything in sight. I had the best looking crop of beans in years, looking like enough to freeze a goodly bunch. Now I don't know what I will get. Sorry about your corn. that must be terrible!

CTG, so true. Thank you

Cathy said...

I celebrate the survival of your heirloom lilac and rhubarb, but further - I celebrate the way you spin everyday anecdotes in a way that we may share them . . peeking over the edge of the porch at those dear little robins.

This heat has been AWFUL. Even here on the Cape next to the ocean - we were melting.

threecollie said...

Cathy, thank you. I am sorry for your misery while on vacation. That just isn't fair, is it? It is much better now. I simply love the little robins, although they drive me a little crazy because they sound exactly like the washing machine when it is off balance and the bearings are squeaking. I keep wanting to go see what is wrong. lol