(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({ google_ad_client: "ca-pub-1163816206856645", enable_page_level_ads: true }); Northview Diary: Sometimes You are Glad You Took the Time

Monday, August 09, 2010

Sometimes You are Glad You Took the Time

Got up really early yesterday to get the most bang for my morning off buck. The sun was just edging a little light across some chilly clouds and puffing up the fog and the Thruway was almost quiet.

Out in the yard a something was singing. Cardinal-like, very flutey and lovely. I figured either a creative cardinal or the mockingbird, but I listened whenever he sang....his call was so sweet and pretty.

Then he came to do the thing so many birds do...sing on the front porch, beak at the door, taking advantage of the two story foyer for a concert hall.

Sweet indeed.

I climbed out of my creaky old desk chair and crept to the door.

Right on the step was the Carolina wren that was hopping around my feet on the other porch last week. Supposedly he is singing tea kettle, tea kettle, tea kettle.... if he is that is the prettiest tea kettle song I have ever heard. I would link to some of the places that have bird call recordings but I haven't heard a one that does him justice. Most of them are much flatter and less fulsome than the real thing, up close and personal.

I am so glad I left my games to go see!

9 comments:

lisa said...

Now that is just a lovely morning to start your day;)

Linda said...

I just love your descriptive take on things.....I'd loved to have been there.

Jacqueline Donnelly said...

Sounds like a wonderful start to the day. And isn't it amazing, how much sweet sound came emerge from such an itty-bitty bird?

Ava said...

Now, that is the way to start the day!

Cathy said...

No kidding?! They really use your porch for acoustical effect? oh, that is very, very neat.

I have not had a Carolina Wren in the yard this year. Dang. Like you - I love its song.

If I could only choose a few birds for backyard songsters - he would be at the top of the list.

threecollie said...

LIsa, it was! And he does it every morning now.

Linda, thanks! Wish you could be!

WW, thanks, it was simply amazing. I am so delighted to have him here. We have never had one in summer before although we see them in winter every now and then

Ava, it was so nice and he has been back every day. I love hearing him

Cathy, for some reason they seem to like to sing near the front door, which is screened and opens on and open, two story hall way. The acoustics are amazing and amplify the sound like a theater. We have had cardinals, mockingbirds, chickadees, house wrens, cat birds, robins, great crested flycatchers and now the Carolina wren use it.

Susan Rose said...

The Carolina Wren may be calling to fledglings to leave the nest. Their vocalization gets more intense during this time.

Cathy said...

OK

Your assignment next year is to get a video of this!

threecollie said...

Susan Rose, thanks. It is really puzzling me. Every morning just after dawn it comes to the yard, makes a circuit around the house singing, sings on the porch for ten minutes or so and then I don't hear it again all day. This morning there were two of them doing it.

Cathy, it is done Sensei.