(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({ google_ad_client: "ca-pub-1163816206856645", enable_page_level_ads: true }); Northview Diary: Autumn Farm Walk

Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Autumn Farm Walk




Walking up to the field is a sensory banquet. I don't smell the cows, but I am sure you would if you walked along.. It is not an offensive odor, just warm and earthy. I do catch the sweet odor of the sorghum silage, which smells sugary just like fermenting corn. It is a nice scent and comforts me with the knowledge that the men are putting up feed to keep the cows secure through the winter.


A flaming candle of ash

I don't know what possessed me to take a hike up back this afternoon. I had to go to the barn to check on Scooter who is not doing so well again. His extreme prematurity has compromised so many of his systems that if it isn't one thing it is another. Anyhow for some reason I just took off hiking after I looked in on him...maybe the need to get some red and green photos for Sunday Stills...maybe the knowledge that bad weather impends and there may not be many more warm fall days like this one. If you walk the farm roads you can smell poplar trees, a passing skunk, the fruity bouquet of river grapes and the lush green scent of crushed grass as you walk along.

Grasshoppers will rattle against your boots and butterflies, question marks (thanks Dani) sulfurs, cabbage whites and a little blue one I think is a Melissa flutter around your feet. Bees buzz. Dragon flies hum as they hunt. Of course there are always a few overly friendly flies and hungry mosquitoes too.



The grass is such a brilliant green that you would think it was August. However, scarves of yellow river bank grape flung with abandon across leafless trees give lie to that theory, as does the purple-red Virginia creeper festooning the hedgerows everywhere.



I stopped to pish a little brown bird out of the hedgerow between the 30 and 60-acre lots. It came right out to show me its stripey-spotted breast.... a song sparrow. A white-throated sparrow was singing lazily just down the way when I caught a slight movement to my left. There, right next to me, was a cat bird, peering to see what was making that funny noise. Too slow with the camera, but I will cherish the memory of his bright, inquisitive eye and lush grey plumage.




I thought to go up and visit the boss where he was chopping but he had changed fields and I was too lazy to hike the rest of the way up there. Just as well because by the time I got back down the hill he was right behind me. With high wind advisories for tomorrow, I am grateful for this one warm, sweet fall day.



There were tracks everywhere, of deer, raccoons, and possibly the fisher again.

Fisher track? (if its a raccoon it is a HUGE one!)

Deer slots with my boot for comparison


10 comments:

Mappy said...

Thanks for taking me along. Been awhile since I've been there.
Love ya
Mappy



Podicars????

Anonymous said...

Well, that trip saved me a lot of energy, but I miss the fresh air.
Love, Mom

Throwback at Trapper Creek said...

Beautiful countryside you have there - I can't help but feel each nice day we have is close to the last one.

Thanks for the walk and your words, I was almost in upstate NY!

lisa said...

Very nice! Lots of pretty colors and looks so beautifully peaceful!

Jan said...

Thanks for the tour of the farm. Very lovely part of the world.

joated said...

Thanks for sharing your walk.

Stay as dry as you can today.

threecollie said...

Mappy, glad to have you along. Love you too.

Mom, glad you could come along too. Always enjoy your company, love you very much

Nita, thanks for your kind words. I am afraid you are right about the weather. Once the hurricanes start tracking through the good days are few and far between

Lisa, thanks, it was truly a gorgeous day

Jan, thanks, and thanks for joining me

Joated, thanks and thanks for joining me. I hope you can stay dry as well. I am dreading the day...

DayPhoto said...

Loved this walk! Your area is just charming---so very different from ours yet the same (a farm).

Thank you so much!

Linda
http://coloradofarmlife.wordpress.com/

CTG Ponies said...

I love those kind of hikes! Pretty part of the world that you occupy.

threecollie said...

Linda, thanks! We are almost New England and it really shows in the fall.

CTG, thanks! I should go back there more often. It is a lot more rewarding than paying bills and doing housework.