(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({ google_ad_client: "ca-pub-1163816206856645", enable_page_level_ads: true }); Northview Diary: Pretty Corny

Friday, September 03, 2010

Pretty Corny




Last night just at chore time
I heard a great clatter
and sprang to the porch to see what was the matter.

It was three Amish boys with a quick little trotter....oh, heck, enough of that nonsense..I'm too lazy to rhyme today.

Yeah, three Amish lads with a wagon drawn by a snappy little brown horse showed up peddling sweet corn last night. We have been been bamboozled
persuaded into purchasing field corn for our dining pleasure by some other members of the group, so I asked to examine an ear before purchasing.

It was clearly sweet corn, so at a mere two dollars a dozen I bought a bag.


The cheerful youth in charge of sales then asked if the "old man" that his dad had met previously when looking at the hay loader was around. He wanted to sell him some corn too. I explained that said old man was my husband and would be eating the corn I had just bought.


The boy ducked his head a little as if thinking and then said, "If you'd like I'll give you another half dozen for free."


I agreed that this sounded like a real good deal. If I had had more money on me I would actually have bought a couple more dozen for the freezer but I don't trot around the farm with much. He chose another small bag of fat green ears and said sheepishly, "If we go back home with this corn we have to can it all tonight and we don't want to do that."

Kids...guess they are the same all over. I laughed and thanked them and they spun that little brown around like an English kid doing donuts with his truck and were off down the driveway with a rumble of heavy wheels.


14 comments:

joated said...

LOL
Poor kid probably felt embarrassed about calling the Boss and "old man" and, learning you were the wife of that "old man," was trying to make amends. (That and he really didn't want to do much canning last night!)

~ Sara ~ said...

I had to laugh! Too cute!

Anonymous said...

COOL!!!!!
Mappy

Alan said...

if you want i can whip some real doughnuts out there for you, :P

Jacqueline Donnelly said...

Funny story and a nice little window into the life you lead. Now do YOU have to do all the canning? Or freezing? That corn looks really sweet and fresh. Enjoy!.

Freste said...

Two bucks for thirty ears? For sweet corn? Plus an unintended jab at the Boss and you're expected to buy more? You're kidding, right?

Well this would be a steal in the West. Except for the remark that is.

I wonder what the parents would think knowing their kids didn't want to do a chore. You might have gotten a few ears out of it if you dropped that in their lap.

Bamboozling, er um, persuasion goes both ways.

Jeffro said...

Sweet corn! Yum!

Earl said...

A wonderful story, really like to see capitalism in action, and find out that it has nothing to do with making money, just having a good time dodging canning chores.

Linda said...

It looks tasty! We had some the other night but it looked far better than it tasted (sigh) maybe the local stuff will be read soon.

Ericka said...

for whatever reason, i haven't found GOOD sweet corn down here. even the stuff that they swear is sweet corn, that looks like sweet corn, tastes like field corn. yuck.

i brought some back from ohio after vacation, invited friends over, and ruined them forever for the "sweet" corn available here.

and now i'm jonesin' for more. that looks YUMMY!

threecollie said...

Joated, It was pretty funny. And I was quite convinced that canning was real low on those boys' lists. lol

Sara, thanks

Matt, it was

Alan, you know exactly where I stand on that subject

WW, I froze most of it. It was pretty mature but it tasted good anyhow. We like corn chowder and it will be perfect for that some cold winter day

Steve, they were cute. It was fun to talk to them...and the corn was....okay...not great, but okay. Ours is done so....

Jeffro, yes indeed. I can never get enough of it.

Earl, they really made my day. The corn wasn't exactly the best we ever had...a couple of ears were quite bad. However, I broke the bad ones into pieces and fed them to my "babies", some heifers I am feeding the tail ends of my garden stuff to, and they were quite pleased.

Linda, it wasn't too bad. A little tough and old, but the ears were real full. I froze most of it for chowder.

Ericka, what a shame! You can get all kinds here, from old fashioned tough and not as tasty to the best SE varieties. We grow Bodacious, a really nice SE we get at the local Agway store. It tastes good even when it dries up and dents. Alas it is all gone for this year.

DayPhoto said...

Your photography made the corn look wonderful! You also gave me a nice happy chuckle this morning.

Linda
http://coloradofarmlife.wordpress.com

Cathy said...

Perfect. :0)

threecollie said...

Linda, thanks! Glad you got a laugh out of it. I did too..those little boys just made my day

Cathy, thanks!