(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({ google_ad_client: "ca-pub-1163816206856645", enable_page_level_ads: true }); Northview Diary: Running After Cows

Thursday, September 02, 2010

Running After Cows

Not my thing.....but done as needed. Yesterday a small but determined cadre of cows (towards whom I am harboring unkind thoughts) pushed down the electric fence and just ran. Normally if they get out they just eat the grass-is-greener-on-the-other-side and you can round them up. Not this bunch.

They gathered just outside the fence girding their loins for flight. I tried to ease through them and point them back toward the pasture. Instead they took off running.

Not in fear. They just knew they were out and wanted to play.

I raced around the house to try to head them off (circle driveway you see).

I almost made it too.

But not quite. They were on a hot jog headed for a busy state highway, another busy highway, and a major interstate, depending on how fast they ran or which way they turned. I took off across the long lawn, (so called because it is long), hoping once again to get ahead of them. At the end of that yard is a head-high wilderness tangle of brush and brambles and who knows what. The only way down to the driveway to head off the cows is through it. To even go a foot I had to put my stick on top of it, stomp it down and proceed.

I tried but I am about as athletic as an elderly broody hen. And it was very thick. I fell down a little bank and got stuck under a mass of raspberries vines. I had to slide back up the hill on my fanny to even get out. I couldn't see or hear a cow.

I was praying hard and I'll make no bones about it. In our state the farmer is liable if cows get in the road. We have insurance but.it is never enough.

Finally, sobbing with frustration and fear and raspberry cuts I tumbled out onto the driveway. Incredibly, just below me stood the cows, milling in a confused pod of black and white. I knew I could never get between them and the road so I called and coaxed and walked away trying to get them to follow.

To my utter amazement they did and I soon saw why. Liz, who uses her head for something besides to keep her ears apart had jumped in her truck (far behind the ravening mob), got her dad to open the gate at the barn, went down that driveway,and up the highway to the bottom of the house driveway where the little b&&*((rds were. (We have two driveways, quite some distance apart with lots of gates.)

I don't know how she did it. I was way ahead of her and she had to go in the other direction, open a huge pair of gates, drive at least a quarter mile, when they only had a few yards to go to the road. She said later that corners on two wheels and the speedometer reading eighty had something to do with winning the race.

Doesn't matter. She saved our bacon...or should I say, beef? And believe it or not those darned sons of guns went up in the pasture where they belong, gathered up all the rest of the cows and came tearing down the hill for another go round. Fortunately Liz and I were both standing there waving sticks.

Soon they were closed up where they belong. I have no idea what possessed them to run. I also have no idea what possessed the boss to leave us to chase them while he went back to the barn to finish chores. It was an emergency and a big one but beyond opening the gate he just ignored it. Did he not get what was going on? I don't know and I am not going to ask, but we sure could have used some help.

However, being tough farm women (and one of us is even smart) we got it done.


18 comments:

Paul said...

People who have never owned cows and want to, need to know the desperation they can dish out! They always seem to head for a road, beanfield, timber, or probably the worst, a cornfield! Trying to run around cows looking for freedom is just about impossible. I feel your pain, and am glad you corralled them.

Anonymous said...

Raspberries can do a number on you, so be sure to doctor up.

And I've never had cows, but when I was younger we had horses, one of whom learned how to roll under the electric fence. I can't remember how many mornings I'd be awakened when a neighbor called to say our mare was staring in their kitchen window - again.

As for the boss? Sometimes men think we're invincible. If you ask, I bet he'll say something like, "well, you got them, didn't you?"

Dani said...

Lord have mercy, what a scare!!!!Big, big ((HUGS)) to you and Liz.

Anonymous said...

Exercise is good for you, but not that kind.
Thanks for all your good wishes.
Love, Mom

Rebecca said...

Gee, having a kid like that makes all those labor pains SO worth it, eh?

:D Hope you are recovering well.

Linda said...

LOL you'll look back at this and have a great laugh some day.........when the scratches heal.

Jinglebob said...

Perhaps there was a mountain lion visiting them?

word verification is fatioco, which I think I am!

Jan said...

I'm laughing only because you described it so well.

~ Sara ~ said...

Hoping your not to sore today... amazing how things like that can wait 24 hours and then the aches and pains start in.

As for the boss... in the words of Miss Cornelia "Just like a man!" :)

threecollie said...

Paul, I was scared to death. We have been lucky this summer, but yesterday was just awful

akagaga, I laughed to think of your horse rolling under the fence, although I'll bet at the time you didn't find it very funny. We used to have a pony that tested the electric fence with his nose every single morning. If it was on, he went about his business and didn't bother it again. If it was off he found a way to get out. lol

Dani, thank you. I was so grateful for her quick thinking and action. I tried, but everything I did was completely futile.

Mom, love you dearly and hope your special day was wonderful

Rebecca, indeed, indeed, and I am just fine. A little tired but not much the worse for wear.

Linda, I can already laugh, but I can't tell you how grateful I was that those critters got stopped yesterday.

JB, coulda been....or maybe they had been sampling rotten apples or something. I couldn't believe how they acted. These are calm, almost too tame, used to people cattle. I could have understood if they were spooked, but they were just raising Hell.

Jan, I can laugh today too...yesterday though....lol

Sara, thanks, I am in pretty good shape all things considered. Surprisingly.....

DayPhoto said...

Oh UGH! Been there done that! And those cows K.N.O.W. exactly where they got out and they are determined to NOT go back in the same way.

Linda
http://coloradofarmlife.wordpress.com

threecollie said...

Linda, you have that right! Stubborn things!

Ericka said...

wretched things. glad it all worked out!

maybe he didn't see that they'd escaped?

CTG Ponies said...

I would have been so pissed off at those cows and the Boss!! Sounds like you and Liz worked like a great team even though you didn't know you were doing it. Glad to hear everything was ok in the end.

threecollie said...

Ericka, thanks for your good thoughts. I just don't know why he didn't come out. You could be right

CTG, thanks. It took me a whole day to get over my mad with those cows!

Cathy said...

Awwww . . Geeze. I can imagine your panic.

But I gotta say - you sure spin a fine yarn out of the worst of days.

PS. I hate brambles. Hate 'em.

threecollie said...

Cathy, it was a potentially ugly thing, which worked out in a very fortunate fashion. I have spent the whole week being very grateful!

Windyridge said...

Great story! We had a Black Angus calf. One day in the middle of winter with a few feet of snow on the ground,I was sitting at my computer that is next to a large window looking out onto the front lawn, and as I was typing away, I caught a black flash out of the corner of my eye. "Beefcake" had gotten out, and since she had breakfast not too long ago I wasn't sure how I was going to entice her back to whence she came. She was having a good ol' romp but eventually I somehow got her back to where she belobnged but it was a hilarious time. Our sheep get out frequently but are very easy to move around (have grain bucket will follow).